Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Window in shower

I have recently had a new 100% vinyl single-hung window installed in a shower space, with 100% PVC trim and sill.  So damage to the wood underneath isn't an issue.

My problem, however, is that water is getting into the tiny gap where the lower sash meets the frame (on both sides and bottom) and seeping to the outside (a covered porch area).  The water line is ruining the paint on the exterior sill and then creating water stains on the Trex floor on the porch.  In the winter, I'm quite sure I'll have icicles forming from the seeping water.

I need to find a way to stop water from getting into that tiny gap around the lower sash without putting up a plastic curtain.  I don't want to seal the window shut with silicone caulk, either.

What would be the best way to unobtrusively cover the gaps where water hits the window?  I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-10-15T12:08:27+0000  by Jen34 Jen34

Howdy Jen34,

Having an ongoing leak can be a big problem.

For starters the water seeping from the shower to the outside and creating ice can expand and increase the gap.

This also opens your home for invaders like: termites, ants, spiders, silverfish, roaches, etc.

Even worse, the water can gather in between the walls and create mold which is even worse because the results are damaging to your health and can be expensive to rectify.

The easiest way to fix this would be to use caulk and sealing it up. Caulk is not difficult to remove if you feel so inclined.  

Dap 3.0.jpg

Or just simply a straight forward silicone (possibly matching the trim color):

GE silacone.jpg

Seal all opened cracks that you see - paying special attention to the top of the window and the sill. Here are a few of the different types of weather stripping we offer.

Last but not least you could use the Frost King Window insulation kit. I would not use this if you plan on opening the window often.

Let us know if you have more question and how the project turns out.

Happy Insulating,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-10-15T18:02:29+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hello Jen34 and welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately, the window is preforming exactly the way it was designed.  The problem is it was not designed to be exposed to the flow of water from a shower.  The solutions are what you are trying to avoid. You either need to block the flow of water from the window with a plastic curtain or seal it.  If this window is the only source of ventilation, you could be creating other issues like mold and mildew by sealing it and not allowing the warm moist air to escape.  

Having just installed this window, you probably also do want to hear that another solution would be to install a vented glass block window.  Glass block windows are available in ready made sizes or can be customized.  If it is a large opening the framework to support it may need to be modified.  This would lead up to a much more costly and invasive process.

I do appreciate your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-10-15T20:13:59+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The solution ended up being simpler than I had expected.  I screwed two coated hooks (cup hooks) into the window trim and cut a clear shower curtain liner (with coated grommets) to fit.  The hooks hold it nice and straight, with virtually no sag, and the liner extends the full width of the window and trim--but it's not so large that the plastic liner rubs up against you while showering.

The result is that no water is getting into the tiny gap between the sash and frame (there's no water on the window sill, in fact).  Best of all, I can simply unhook the liner when I want to access the window.  But because the liner is clear and the hooks are white, it's very hard to see that anything is even covering the window.   Not a bad solution for a total of $5.99 and less than 10 minutes of work!

Posted 2015-10-23T11:53:50+0000  by Jen34
Outstanding DIY Solution Jen34!

If possible, would you share photos of your solution ... other members of The Community may want to use your technique.
Posted 2015-10-27T16:08:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+