Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Window kit for Haier portable air conditioner no tight fit

I installed the window vent kit for my new Haier 10,000 BTU portable air conditioning unit. The kit that came with the unit leaves massive gaps between window frame and extension panels (issue: air flow, noise). I am wondering if there are better window kits available. I would want it to fit a 42" window, have a single hole for the hose, and fit tightly into the frame so not to leave gaps. Note: using weather seal with the kit that came with the unit is not an option, the plastic panels are thin (actually, they seem made on the cheap - when extended out, the longer of the 2 panels wobbles).

Any leads to a better window kit solution would be greatly appreciated. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-25T13:27:24+0000  by oschneidem oschneidem

Hello oschneidem,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I assume your portable A/C unit is the one shown below, correct?

10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifer and Remote

I checked the installation manual and I came up with the vent kit in question, shown below.

Haier Installation Instructions.png

Since this particular model isn't sold at any of the stores near me here in Atlanta, I haven't had issues with the system. I have though seen very similar models sold, and we don't carry additional kits in our store.

You can call Haier directly from the owner's manual link above on page 12. See if a local authorized service center has additional parts or added know-how that we can't answer here.

If it were me personally, I would stick with what you have and give it added reinforcement with additional fasteners or using better weather strips.

Again, I have never seen 'better' or even window kits sold separately, since all portable A/C units already have the kits that come with them, and there is no 'universal' kit that would fit your unit in-stock.

If the unit will be there for a while and you have the tools, you can fasten the panels using small screws AFTER the holes have been piloted with a drill bit to eliminate cracking. You can then place weather stripping as well silicone caulk sealant to ensure it stays put.

These are just some options, but I hope this information has assisted you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-25T16:22:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you for your response. Yes, that is the model. I have sent an email to Haier, let's see what they say.

I will also try to seal the gaps, with some cardboard and foam strips/pieces (to cover/overlap the entire space which should be covered by the window kit).

Still think this is a product design deficiency, there should be a better way 'out of the box' - without 1/8" gaps. 

Posted 2013-05-25T23:00:53+0000  by oschneidem

You are quite welcome, I just hope you get the proper solution for your a/c unit.

Keep us updated on your progress, I want to see what happens.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-01T12:17:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I had sent an email to Haier's customer service, but sadly they never answered my original question. Disappointing.

I tried 2 plexiglass pieces, but given how poorly the existing window kit is designed, I always ended up with gaps. I have now used the 2 pieces of plexiglass plus the window kit from Haier, and used a lot of caulk to close the gaps. It should get me through this season.

Preferable, I would find a plexiglass store in Manhattan that can cut a single piece (45 1/2' wide, 6' tall) with a hole in it for the exhaust that would fit in front of the Haier window kit. With a little caulk, that would allow a good seal (sound and air flow are concerns - in that order).

I am happy with the performance of the AC unit, by the way. Works well, does the job. Just the window kit is not good for metal windows of the size I have (I rent).

Posted 2013-06-01T18:50:59+0000  by oschneidem

Hmm, sorry to hear about your experiences with Haier, no bueno. :smileyfrustrated:

I really wish we still cut plexiglass in our stores, but alas, that's been several years since we've done that service.

As long as what you have now will work, and that you used good plexiglass, such as Lexan.

I know this wasn't the result you wanted, but thank you again for updating us on your situation. The next time I encounter Haier or even another portable A/C unit, I'll be sure to let my customers know about the window kits.

And if there is anything else by way of home improvement projects you like to discuss, feel free to talk about them here.

At least with the temps rising, you have a working A/C unit, albeit one with some gaps. :smileysad:

Regards,

Joseph 

Posted 2013-06-01T19:42:15+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+