Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Windward IV fan buzzing/humming... but only with light parts screwed in.

How do I get rid of the constant humming/buzzing? There's a slight noise that never goes away when the light kit pan and especially the light kit fitter assembly are screwed in. It only goes away when the glass bowl, pan, and fitter assembly (the one that holds the bulbs) are removed, see attached image. (Lights are not that important but it's annoying to not have them working and have the light wires sticking out.) I've already ordered and installed a new pan/fitter assembly but the new parts produce same humming! How do I insulate the vibration noise etc?

These are the parts that have to be removed to get rid of the humming. Any tricks to stop the vibrating? Any special tape or anti-vibration rubber things, etc? I've tried electrical tape, screwing everything in hard (and loose). Nothing works, except to remove these parts.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-08-13T21:05:11+0000  by Andkon Andkon

Hey Andkon,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

It sounds like you've already done your homework via ordering new parts for the light kit directly from Home Decorators Collection.

Since none of us is there and can hear how loud the buzzing/humming of the fan is, I can only myself surmise one of 2 options for you.

The first would be to reinstall the ceiling fan completely. I realize with a high vaulted ceiling, this can be something you wouldn't prefer to do. If the previous light fixture that was there was a ceiling fan and caused no problems, I'd look at this fan specifically and review all it's assembly points.

In other words, look at every screw and fastening spot where you assembled the fan. This includes the downrod and blades. I realize that this sound goes away after removing the light kit, but double checking to make sure all parts (screws and washers) are secured firmly onto the fan.

The 2nd option would be to grab some washers or make your own (your local Home Depot sells sheets of plastic in the plumbing dept. where you can make your own size of them). 

Using some sort of gasket could muffle the sound or hum, but again, since we can't hear it or are there, no one can pinpoint where it is directly. With that said, be sure to use a gasket or rubber washer that can easily be removed, and try to avoid any sealants such as 100% silicone caulking.

This could be used, but it can be messy and lead to issues disassembling the fan further down the road. I would say use these 2 options, and only replace the entire fan itself if these two options fail. 

Always install every part and piece included and firmly secure to a fan-rated junction box, and you should not have this issue. 

Keep us updated on your progress, and keep the care guide/owner's manual handy for any additional replacement parts you may need now or in the future.

Joseph

Posted 2019-08-14T16:20:38+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+