Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

cleaning laminate

I will be installing TrafficMaster lamiate wood floors in my entire house (living room, den, hallway and 2 bedrooms). What do I use to clean it? I thought about getting a Shark vac/steam mop, but a review I read on another website said that the steam can get under the floor and cause mildew. Any insight would be helpful.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-26T17:22:40+0000  by aparker aparker

Hello aparker and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

Congratulations on selecting TrafficMaster laminate for your home! 

The Shark vac steam mop is a great product but your new laminate floors will need a different cleaning routine:

1. Sweep, dust, or vacuum the floor regularly with the hard floor attachment (not the beater bar) to prevent accumulation of dirt and grit that can scratch or dull the floor finish.

2. Use a damp cloth to blot up spills as soon as they happen – do not allow liquids to stand on your floor.

3. Do not wash or wet mop the floor with soap, water, oil-soap detergent, or any other liquid cleaning material. This could cause swelling, warping, delamination, and joint-line separation, and void the warranty.

4. Periodically clean the floor with cleaning products made specifically for laminate floor care.

5. For spots such as candle wax or chewing gum, harden the spot with ice and then gently scrape with a plastic scraper (such as a credit card). Be careful not to scratch the flooring surface and then wipe clean with a damp cloth.

6. For tough spots (such as oil, paint, markers, lipstick, ink, or tar), use acetone/nail polish remover on a clean white cloth, then wipe the area with a damp cloth to remove any remaining residue.

7. Do not use steel wool, abrasive cleaners, or strong ammoniated or chlorinated type cleaners.

8. Do not use any type of buffing or polishing machine.

Additional maintenance tips will help keep your new floors looking new. 

Best wishes on your project.

dw5.png

Posted 2012-06-26T19:29:17+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Will the cleaning products sanitize the floor? For the sweep/vacuum - will the Swiffer Vac be a good thing to use? Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiffer-Sweeper-Vac-Starter-Kit-1ct/3921875 

And this might be a stupid question: what's a beater bar?

Posted 2012-06-27T17:22:05+0000  by aparker

Hello again aparker! 

I spoke to the folks at Home Legend who recommended that you make your own mixture to sanitize your laminate floors.  Start by mixing 1 part of denatured alcohol (found in the Paint Department) to 32 parts of distilled water (usually 2 capfuls of denatured alcohol into a spray bottle).  Spray onto the floor and wipe with a microfiber mop or rag. 

The Swiffer Sweeper Vac from your link is an all-in-one vacuum that features dry cloth technology and a powerful vacuum.  (We also sell it online and at your local Home Depot store.)  It should be okay to use on your floors.

Beater Bar.jpg 

A beater bar is a power head or powerbar brush attachment(usually with stiff bristles) used to clean carpets.  The beater bar action helps disturb dust particles to remove them from the surface.  They are not a good choice for hardwood floors since this attachment could scratch while cleaning. 

Best wishes with your project!

dw5.png

Posted 2012-06-27T18:12:20+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I finished installing my laminate floor Tuesday, and finished the molding today. I bought Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner earlier today.

I have a few questions before I use it:

1. Did I make the right purchase?

2. The bottle says 'formulated for all no-wax, urethane finished hardwood and laminate floors. I bought Traffic Master Ainsley Oak floor.

3. How often is too often to use it? When I mopped before, I'd try to mop every week (sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't). Is that too often?

4. The bottle says to spray the cleaner directly on the floor. Is there any harm in spraying the cleaner on the mop?

5.Can the mop be put in my washer and dryer?

Thank you.

Posted 2012-07-07T02:47:48+0000  by aparker

We installed the Allure trafficmaster flooring . It is the 100% water proof type

The floor has been down since Nov. 1 ,2011 . The only problem we are finding is like everyone else and that is cleaning it

We tried just a damp mop and yet after the floor dries it still looks dull and dirty. We have probably gone over a small section 20 times and we still get what looks like dirt up,but are beginning to think it is the color coming out of the laminate itself as it is a tan looking color on the mop and the floor is Tan

We have not used any kind of cleaner only water

At this point we are afraid to use the Allure cleaner as it may make it worse

Has anyone had thos problem and will the Allure cleaner bring the shine back or should we try something else

We did have two HD people say try a bit of vineger and water  which we did on a small spot but did not help

Posted 2012-07-07T21:31:35+0000  by Doc1

Hello Desinging Woman

I notice you have in your post to not use water to clean the floor. I thought  the Trafficmaster was 100 % waterproof. When we were looking at flooring that is what we read and that is what we were told. There was a big sign that said 100% water proof

This was the only reason we purchased it ,Carpet gets wet and sours and even other floors we know can have problems

SO I am concerned with the no water comment  have we purchased a product that is not what it says it is as for being waterproof

Thanks for clearing this up or correcting it

Posted 2012-07-07T21:45:09+0000  by Doc1

I still haven't received an answer to my question about the Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner. Can somebody please help? I vaccumed last night, but I would like to clean my floor this week.

Thank you.

Posted 2012-07-09T17:26:19+0000  by aparker

Here is what I found on it ,I do not know a thing about your brand but the phone number for your brand is here so give them a call. I can't post all I found so call them,or do a google search on the brand name

Please come back and let us know what they say and stay in touch with the forum 

Following installation your floors should be waxed. Please contact Armstrong at 1-800-233-3823 for recommendations on the products

Posted 2012-07-09T17:57:48+0000  by Doc1

Hey aparker,

Depending on how dirty your floors will get will determine how much you will need to clean it. Once a week is fine to keep the dirt and dust at bay. And like most things you clean around your house, once a week is fine. 

4. The bottle says to spray the cleaner directly on the floor. Is there any harm in spraying the cleaner on the mop?

There is no damage to spraying cleaner on the mop, but it would be unnecessary. The mop cover simply distributes the cleaner, which is better to have it sprayed on the floor directly. 

5.Can the mop be put in my washer and dryer? The mop head is made out of a terry towel material. That means as a cloth it doesn't have high washing capabilities, say as an article of clothing, but it can be reversible. It can be put into a washer/dryer but I would recommend to handwash it first.

I hope these have answered your questions, and congrats on your new laminate flooring!

Have a good day,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-07-09T18:43:03+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Doc1,

If you referring to TrafficMaster's Allure or Allure Ultra vinyl flooring, you are right in being 100% waterproof.  What 

We also sell a product in our flooring department by Armstrong that customers tell me works great for tough build up of dirt and grime. It's called Once and Done, and it won't leave a sheen like Allure Single Step, but it will clean up the floors very effectively without harming them.

Armstrong Once and Done Floor Cleaner

WIth the new technology and better improved flooring out the market, the days of using a wet braided mop are over for vinyl floors like Allure. Simply use the cleaners above alongside the methods that you are using now, and you'll get the best look and life out of them.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-07-09T19:01:38+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+