Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

dishwasher

do all dishwashers hook up to the garbage disposal and if not what kind of dishwasher do i need to buy that will hook up to my disposal

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-20T18:42:33+0000  by artech42 artech42

Hello artech42.  Welcome to the Community!

All dishwashers that you install into your base cabinets will hook up to a garbage disposal.  There is a spout on the disposal that accepts the dishwasher drain hose.  You will likely need an adapter like this to mount the hose:

Adapter.jpg

If there has never been a dishwasher hooked up to your garbage disposal, then you will have to open up the "knock-out" plug inside the spout.  If you are replacing a dishwasher then this knock-out has already been removed.

Portable dishwashers that can be rolled around a room and have their own top and cabinet use a different method to fill and drain.  These use a faucet adapter which also serves as the drain directly into the sink.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2013-09-20T20:49:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

I have a garbage disposal which knock out plug is already removed. But i dont have a dishwasher. How can i replace a knock out plug. where to find it (i need something to prevent water coming out of the inlet hole). Please help me. Thank You

Posted 2013-10-28T11:05:07+0000  by leodaniel76

Hello leodaniel76.  Welcome to the Community!

While you cannot replace the knock out plug inside the disposal, you can cap off the dishwasher nipple on the disposer itself.  The Home Depot does not sell a rubber cap made for this, but automotive parts stores may have them.  You are looking for a cap in a 7/8" ID size, combined with a worm drive stainless clamp, (often called a radiator clamp),  to hold it securely.  If you cannot find one of these easily, a rubber chair leg tip in 7/8" size is readily available in the hardware department, and the clamp you need will be in plumbing by the brass fittings.

You may be tempted to just push on this cap and not use a clamp.  It probably won't leak if you do this, but if that disposer drain is ever clogged and you need to use a plunger, it will shoot off the fitting and spray water all over!

I would use a clamp, which allows you to remove the cap if you ever reinstall a dishwasher and need that drain.

As another alternative, a short piece of rubber hose, a plug or a bolt in the end of the hose and now 2 clamps.

Yes, these solutions are not very aesthetic, but no one will see them anyway...

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2013-10-29T18:51:43+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+