Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

dont laugh.......but serious question...

hi all hope thanksgiving was good. had a silly but serious question about a dishwasher. the d/w in my home is the original one from 1995, WITH the instructions and connectors still in a bag inside the machine. it was never hooked up at all. now my question is what do you guys think will happen if i hook it up n turn it on.....mind you im in arizona and this thing is 23 years old. should i even bother to hook it up... and if the thing leaks is it worth even trying to fix the darn thing. its a shame never used at all....just sitting there. any input is appreciated thanks, Dave

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-12-01T00:48:36+0000  by nycemsdinomedic nycemsdinomedic

The only real things to “worry” about would be deterioration of any rubber seals or plastic parts like drain lines and perhaps some solidification of lubrication in bearings.  Since it was in your kitchen and not stored in, say, an unconditioned space I’d give it a shot.  It’s not that complicated to install a dishwasher and even if you discover it doesn’t work, you would have wasted, maybe, a couple hours of your time.  

Of course, you’ll want to keep a careful lookout for any leaks (leave the front plate off for a while).  As for fixing it, as with everything else it would depend on what’s wrong with it.  At 25 years, there’s probably a fair chance that parts aren’t available but who knows.
Posted 2019-12-01T15:40:36+0000  by Adam444
Hi nycemsdinomedic,

After 23 years, I would send it off to the great dishwasher heaven in the sky, surely by now every seal and gasket has dried up and shrank to the point the unit will leak like a sieve. Parts won't be available and the technology is outdated. Stop by your local Home Depot and buy a new one.

Mike
Posted 2019-12-03T01:53:54+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+