Sign In to join the community | Help

hot water only from kitchen faucet

both hot and cold are turned on and connected but hot works fine cold has no water at all. how do I fix this? I don't know the brand I don't see it anywhere. this faucet is in my daughters house.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-21T14:20:26+0000  by rjjk4441 rjjk4441

I'm going to assume this is a single handle faucet.  More than likely the cartridge needs to be replaced.  You can pull out the old one and take it to Home Depot where an associate can help you find a need one.


Most of the major fixture companies are pretty good about supplying free replacements but you'll need to identify the brand.  Is there any kind of logo anywhere?  Sometimes the brand name is stamped on the aerator.

Posted 2013-12-21T18:53:43+0000  by Adam444

I don't see any markings anywhere but I saw a Pfister on line that looks just like it. so that's my guess. it is a single handle. how do I change a cartridge if that is what it is

Posted 2013-12-21T19:47:33+0000  by rjjk4441

If you think it's a Pfister, you might want to look around their site for support information.  They'll typically have a exploded drawing that will be more accurate that what I can only guess at.


Shut off the water supply and open the faucet to relieve any pressure.  It's not a bad idea to put the strainer basket or cover in the drain to catch any small parts that might fall.


Generically - Often there's some kind of trim piece on the top of faucet that just pops off (use a very small screw driver or edge of a utility knife blade).  Below that is a screw that holds handle assembly on.  The handle pulls off.  The cartridge should be below that.  There may be a metal "e" clip or screw cap that holds the cartridge in place.  Put the screw back into the cartridge and pull straight up with a pair of pliers.


If there isn't a trim piece that looks like it comes off sometimes there is screw inside the handle assembly that accessed from the back (there's a small hole).  Often that's an Allen (hex) screw.  That comes out and the handle assembly comes off.  Again look for a clip or screw cap and remove it.


If none of this works for you, maybe you could upload a few pictures of the faucet.

Posted 2013-12-22T01:48:36+0000  by Adam444

Thank you so much I'll try it.

Posted 2013-12-22T02:03:59+0000  by rjjk4441
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question