Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

how to select the right floor transitions/moulding

Hey everyone,


Every new or remodeled floor, be it tiled, carpeted, or wood needs to have transition and moulding pieces to complete the function of your floor. In cases of floating systems, like laminate or wood click-lock, the right moulding is REQUIRED to be installed to ensure the new floor works properly. This post is to show and inform the right uses for transition and decorative mouldings. 


For starters, the main (and bare minimum IMO) pieces to put in your new flooring are quarter round and basic transition pieces;  what are those you may ask? They typically are referred to as T-moulding, carpet reducers, hard surface reducers, and stair noses. However, there are also baseboards as well as other decorative mouldings you may want to use.


Moulding can add formal or casual elements, create new architectural interest, develop a sense of scale, incorporate and enhance pre-existing architectural features and bring in complementary or contrasting colors and textures. 


We at The Home Depot, either online or in the store, make shopping for moulding easy. We offer a wide selection for every home and every budget. Plus, we  are your one stop shop--you can get all the moulding, tools, paint/finish and accessories for your project with us!


See the images below to find out specifics about transition, quarter round, and baseboard profiles. The first image below shows if you are in the market for a floating floor system, like laminate or click-lock, consider using a Fast Trim 5-in 1 moulding system has everything you need in one package to give the right transition pieces for your room and in colors/finishes that match your floor!




The images above show how the mouldings are broken down by usage. Below is images of standard wood transitions, available in either unfinished or pre-finished to match your wood colors. in the image below, I'll get into a bit more in depth so you can decide which is the best transition/moulding piece for your room.



Now that we've seen the basic styles of transitions, consider giving the baseboards and floor mouldings some extra pop. Our partners in flooring, SCHLUTER SYSTEMS, also has great alternatives for protective edges for your tile. We sell them in-stock at our stores as well as more through special order. Click on their name in the previous sentence to see all their options available. These pieces come in either metal or PVC, and are easy to work with and give a great finished look to your tile edges on the floor, countertops, and even stairs, below is a picture of them at work...





Also, our other great partner when it comes to flooring trims, M-D Building Products, is also North America's largest carpet and tile trim supplier! These products are mainly in-stock, and work great when you'd rather have an aluminum or metal trim alternative instead of wood. The best thing I like about several of their transition pieces is their Multi-Floor Transitions with hidden fasteners that allow you to adjust to varying floor heights for easy DIY installation! They can be positioned after hard surface floors and adjoining floors have been installed. This makes the hidden fasteners be the ideal choice for safety and better appearance. Click on their name in this paragraph to find out just what makes this brand an ideal solution for your transition pieces.

MD strip.JPG


Lastly, consider using decorative baseboards and floor mouldings in your room as well. In our Millworks department there are seemingly endless possibilites for that final design for your moulding. We have a great webpage on this subject in our Moulding Style Gallery section at, that page can be found here.



Use these links and images as a guide to help you through selecting the right floor transition piece for your existing or next flooring job!


Have a great day,



Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-23T18:22:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

....almost forgot!


You also have one more substrate to choose from when it comes to floor transitions. Marble! Or really any natural stone for that matter...but consider the marble in-stock thresholds that we carry as well. They make room-to-room transitions look amazing and professional. I personally like the looks of a white marble threshold on top of a tub to help cut down water from going to the floor. Here is a sample picture...



Happy flooring!


Posted 2011-06-04T16:40:31+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I'm assuming you're saying to use the carpet reducer if I'm going to go from carpet to tile?  Also, my half bath currently has carpet that runs in from the hall.  Where do I cut the existing carpet for this transition to be installed.  Half  of the door frame?  where should the transition be located when the door is closed?  Have never seen this posted before. 


Posted 2011-06-14T13:20:08+0000  by Jayhog

Hey Jayhog!


Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!


Yes, you will need to use a carpet trim....however it is up to your floor on whether or not you will need a reducer, a trim, or even a carpet gripper.


Each house and floor type differs, sometimes even from room to room. In your case, I will go over some options for you. You will need to take measurements and mental notes of how close the two floors are touching so you can get the correct strip. Consider as well the height of the door to the bathroom. I would not suggest a transition taller than 2". No matter which one works best for you, it will be an easy installation that will give you a safe and nice looking edge for almost as long as you have your floor.....


  1. If you carpet is at a higher level or somewhat even with your tile- You can use the carpet reducer that I pictured earlier in the post, but I would also suggest to maybe use a carpet gripper transition strip by MD as another option. It's in-stock and comes in various finishes, if you would like a metal look. In the picture below, you will see how the carpet edge grips underneath the carpet backing, allowing for a downward edge onto your tile. If you want to use this strip, simply pull the edge of the carpet up and slide the trim underneath and screw/nail down into the subfloor. If you are cutting any carpet, it maybe like 1/4" from the edge, if even that.  This works great for wet locations, like a bathroom, where you'd want a sloping edge towards the tile so water spills can go back towards the bathroom and not the carpet.JPG
  2. If your carpet is level with your tile- This is where you can choose from various thin transitions since your two surfaces are the same with each other. T-moulding is out since the other side of the T would be the carpet and it won't support the carpet when you step on it.  A simple and level transition that isn't wide will require some trimming of carpet with a knife, but only around 1/4", but it depends on how close the carpet really is. Measure before anything and you will see exactly the amount you would need to cut. MD transition strips are also a viable alternative since both your floors are already down, below is a picture MD vinyl.JPG

Whichever transition works best for you, you would need to install it properly at much as center as possible between both floors. Again, simply measure and inspect the distance or closeness between the two floors and using the info here, you will be able to get the transition that is right for you.




Posted 2011-06-17T17:53:28+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I have a vinly floor over an exsiting floor layed over lawan plywood it is in the kitchen, the floor in the living room that butts up to the kitchen floor is aprox 3/4 inch lower and is going to be carpet, I have bought wood carpet reducer ( LM 5917 ) do i just nail it down to the sub-floor overlaping the vinly floor and let the carpet butt up to it.

Posted 2012-02-20T18:54:43+0000  by hunter1022

Good afternoon hunter1022,


Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.


You purchased the best transition strip for your floors, the carpet reducer. You can let the carpet butt up to it, and as for fastening it to the subfloor, it is up to you. Using a high-quality adhesive can look cleaner than nailing, but it is personal preference. To ensure it will last for years, you can do a combination of nails and adhesive. This will ensure it will last as long as the floors around it.


Hope this helps you out,


Posted 2012-02-27T21:52:33+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi Joe,


I need to transition between a floating laminate floor to tile. (living room to kitchen/bathroom)  Suggestions on what type of molding/threshold/whatever is going to work and look best for this? Thanks much!

Posted 2012-04-13T08:15:11+0000  by Tazflyr

Hey there Tazflyr,


Is your transition on an even surface, or does one flooring slope down a bit below the other?


Your best bet would be with FastTrim. You can find a style close to the one that you have currently down on the floor and coordinate it with the color of the laminate and get as close a match as you can. Depending on how your floor sits, you'll use a different piece from the FastTrim set.




If you're looking for something a bit more low profile, you can also look into the RENO-T from Schluter, which gives you a sleeker, metallic look and not quite as bulky.


Hope this helps you out!~

Posted 2012-04-13T14:44:02+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Thx for the info. There's a slight slope from the laminate to the tile but not much. As for what's there currently...nothing. lol   We had to pull everything up when we re laid new laminate so options are definitely open.


I guess all the pieces in the Fast Trim you suggested just look a bit bulky to me. Will they really fit neatly and just as importantly, look good?


Thanks again for your help!


Posted 2012-04-13T19:10:35+0000  by Tazflyr

Ah, well if the gap is relatively small, the RENO-T might be the best thing.


The FastTrim pieces aren't bulky by any means, but they aren't as slim as the Schluter piece. They're about 2" wide, but they'll provide you with a durable transition from floor to floor. They have a small channel that gets nailed or glued to the floor below first, and then the FastTrim snaps into that channel, locking it in but not permanently. It's best perk is that you can find them in most all popular colors and finishes, so you can find something that coordinates easily.


If you take a look at them and still find them a bit too much, then you can also look at the MultiFloor Transitions pieces. They're made of metal and are meant to contour to either even surfaces or those with small slopes. These may be a bit more low profile and more what you're looking for in that case.


Posted 2012-04-13T21:27:24+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

you can find information about ceramics in here:


Posted 2012-05-08T12:48:56+0000  by eliav
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question