Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

how to trim j channel windows with cedar

Purchased and installed new construction american craftsman series 70  vinyl windows with integrated nail strip and j channel. How to I trim with cedar? Can't tuck into channel without planing the trim from 7/8" to 1/2 inch due to all the plastic welds. I  Is just butting the cedar to the fram OK? thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-19T15:32:11+0000  by Beaverislandguy Beaverislandguy

Usually just installing the cedar trim snug to the window frame is sufficient for installation.  Sometimes I have seen that a bead of clear silicone added to the edge of the frame. This helps in keeping the elements out and making the trim last longer.

j channel.JPG

Posted 2013-08-19T16:10:29+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
thanks. i tried this but the bottom welds protrude farther out than the upper corner welds which leaves the vertical trim piece at an angle if you do try to butt. i think i was sold the wrong window.
Posted 2013-08-19T16:51:11+0000  by Beaverislandguy

If the window is already installed, then I guess the best way to make everything uniform is to trim down that lower piece of cedar so that the angle is not as obvious.  

I think you had the right idea from the start.:smileyvery-happy:

Posted 2013-08-19T17:47:33+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

I can do my job with small relief cuts to accomodate the welds. It's time consuming task but the windows are installed and I live on an island otherwise I would return them- 7 at $150 each..  It turns out  that they could have been ordered with a factory installed J- channel filler to allow trim to butt to the frame.  I wish my salesman would have known that.

Posted 2013-08-19T17:51:35+0000  by Beaverislandguy

Kevin, great minds think alike. :smileyhappy:     thanks man.

Posted 2013-08-19T17:54:43+0000  by Beaverislandguy

So sorry for the trouble.  I do think they are designed for standard brick molding and am not sure there may have been another style choice.  Just remember the silicone - especially at that bottom part.

Thank you once again for joining the community, we look forward to hearing back from you again.

Posted 2013-08-19T17:58:33+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+