Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

mildew on travertine patio

I have travertine on my outside patio.  It is sealed.  It also gets mildew in between stones.  My cleaning crew has been putting bleach on the mildew which I noticed is not only taking off the sealant but can't be good for the travertine.  If I have the mildew pressure cleaned it will take away the sand in between stones.

What product will remove the mildew without taking off the seal?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-03-28T13:44:11+0000  by segirl segirl

Concrobium mold Control is a patented solution that effectively eliminates and prevents mold and mildew with no bleach or harmful chemicals. It can also be used to get rid of musty odors. The product works as it dries by crushing mold spores at the roots and leaves behind an invisible antimicrobial shield that prevents future mold growth.

This product can be used on the following surfaces:
Carpet,Dashboard,Fabric,Fiberglass,Glass,Laminate,Metal,Porcelain, Rubber,Stainless Steel,Tile,Upholstery,Vinyl,Wood

Step 1 - spray the affected area, a thin and even application of the product is all that is required. Make sure the product comes in direct contact with the mold.

Step 2 - allow to dry.  It works as it dries it crushed mold spores, right at it the roots.

Step 3 – clean mold staining and residue. After the surface has dried clean staining by re-applying and rubbing with a rag or use a brush.  For tough imbedded stains use MOLD STAIN ERASER, once mixed with water, it can be applied with a pump sprayer, to remove stains without scrubbing.

After you have removed the mold, I would suggest resealing the tile.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-03-29T13:08:16+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Greetings segirl

Travertine is a porous stone, you stated that there is mildew growing, is it just growing in the crevices or on the stone as well? want to be correct in my recommendation for the cleaning process and I have a few questions for you: How is the sun on  the patio? Is there trees shadowing it? Do you know if trees were removed to create the space for the patio? Do you know if weed block was put in place before the patio was installed? What kind of sand was use to fill in around stones? Does water pool on the stone after a rain?

Water and a soft bristle brush is the best way to clean the stone surface, removing excess water once the cleaning process is completed is the best practice.

I do not recommend using bleach around travertine stone, you are correct it will eat through and break down the sealant.

Mildew and mold is produced due to conditions provided, hopefully by answering some of the questions we can get to the cause of the problem and work on eliminating it. 

We do sell a great product for cleaning mold and inhibiting its growth but it does not list travertine as a surface for it to be used on. I am working on contacting the company for an answer.

in the mean time lets see what the comments are from the rest of the HD Community

Maureen
Posted 2018-03-29T13:21:39+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+