Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

replacing wall heat register cover

I am replacing some wall mounted heat register covers on an older home. The original covers have an approximately 3/4" lip around the edge and the new covers are flat. The new cover fits the duct opening exactly but some of the galvanized steel duct work sticks out past the wall. It used to be covered by the register lip.

How do I cut the galvanized duct work flush with the wall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-08T22:28:34+0000  by Spencer1 Spencer1
Why not buy replacement covers that match the original style and eliminate the need to modify the duct work?  Unless the cover is dinged and dented, I've found that a good wash in hot, soapy water and a couple of coats of spray paint brings them back to almost new condition.

You can trim the duct work with snips but it's gonna take a little time because you're only going to be able to use the tip to keep tight to the wall.  Another option would be something like a Dremel with a cut-off wheel but keep an eye on the sparks.
Posted 2019-02-09T10:45:33+0000  by Adam444
Hi Spencer1,

Adam444 is right cutting that duct will not be easy and damage to the surrounding wall may result in even more work.
I would use some 3/4 inch quarter round molding and create a frame for the duct almost like a license plate frame. This will hide the duct and provide a mounting point for the new register covers. You can paint the wood to match the wall. This would be a lot easier than cutting the duct.

Posted 2019-02-11T21:52:59+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question