Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

repotting

What should I do when my plant is getting bigger than I have room for but needs to be repotted? Can I cut the roots back to keep it from getting any bigger?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-13T23:49:39+0000  by playerwhatever70 playerwhatever70

Repot your orchid ll The Home Depot Garden Club

Greetings playerwhatever70,

Root pruning can be tricky some plants can adapt to pruning back the root systems and others will die if you prune or damage the roots.

Most times when you alter the roots of a plant, it will affect the top growth, dwarfing the growing size, like the art of Bonsai.

Some plants can be divided, making several smaller plants that will need to be potted up, into smaller vessels…then maybe give some of them away, that will give you more space.

You must be doing all the right things for your plants if they are outgrowing there space, it must be the perfect location as well.

So to answer your question each plant is different on root pruning, and if you prune the bottom (roots) than you must control the top growth also. Do you have a space to move some of your healthy plants outdoors now that the good weather is coming your way?

Just wait until the treat of frost is over in Minnesota, most likely Memorial Day will be safe to move a few of your green friends outside.

If you are really overwhelmed by your healthy, growing houseplants you may want to consider donating them to a school, church, nursing home or library. Public spaces benefit greatly from plants because the plants purify the air and help to remove toxins and promote a happy environment.

Some plants can be propagated from cuttings, either with a rooting hormone or simply in water, take some clipping before you give them away and keep a piece of the mother plant to start a smaller more manageable plant.

I suggest looking up each plant by species on-line or with a plant book. Find the information for the root cutting, root division and propagation of each variety and go from there. If you need help identifying plants, upload some picture we are here to help.

The air quality within your living space must be great if your plants are flourishing! Take a deep breath do some research and make some decisions on how to regain some space.

You should be a proud plant parent!

All the best,

Maureen

Posted 2019-03-14T16:34:40+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+