Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

tile or hardwood over glued down laminate

I currently have glued down laminate to concrete flooring... the labor for removal seems very high.. is it possible to place tile or hardwood over the laminate flooring... I am not sure you would consider it to be floating since it is glued.. but not sure if there is a problem with the laminate itself for placing tile or a hardwood on top... I would appreciate any help...
thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-10-04T19:01:22+0000  by klmtampa klmtampa

You can NOT put tile down over laminate, even if it is glued down.  Hardwood might be a possibility, depending on the means of attachment and the construction of your home.  I would suggest picking a style or two of hardwood that you like and then reading the installation instructions and/or any support documents looking for information on “suitable substrates.”
Posted 2019-10-04T19:44:04+0000  by Adam444

Hey klmtampa,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

Adam444 is right about not being able to place tile or hardwood over laminate, regardless if it is glued down or not.

Not only would the new flooring fail within a short amount of time and lead to a massive amount of extra work needed to remedy it, but it will most likely void any warranty you have with it.

In all honestly, if you decide not to rip up the existing laminate flooring, the only real option of new is to use floating vinyl plank flooring. 

Let us know if you have any questions,

Joseph

Posted 2019-10-07T15:47:34+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
So to add to this information, would vinyl sheeting be OK?  You mention vinyl planks is possible, but what about vinyl sheets? With pressure sensitive adhesive? Thank you.
Posted 2019-10-07T17:08:17+0000  by jmc2112

In terms of vinyl sheets, it would be more of a yes and no answer.

I say this due to what type of vinyl sheet flooring to use. You may or may not know, there are glue-free versions of vinyl sheet flooring for residential use that only uses small amounts of flooring-grade double sided tape to adhere it to the surface.

Personally, I would use the glue-free version, just in case the planks underneath fail or you need to do any maintenance to them without too much of an issue.

The good news is that this newer version is sold at your local Home Depot in various finishes and doesn't cost that much more per square foot versus it's glue down counterparts.

If you have your heart set on vinyl sheet flooring, make it a glue-free version.

Posted 2019-10-07T19:08:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+