Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

type of screws

Well started a project and wife decides we need another one

Here is my problem . Have regular 2 x 4 ceiling joist covered with 1/2 " sheetrock

We are wanting to screw  1 " x 3 " furring strips to the ceiling joist over the sheetrock so we than can hang 3/8"  x 4' x 8' bead board it is the plywood style has the lines down it about 3 inches apart or so.

What screws would you suggest for hanging the furring strips and which ones for hanging the plywood

I was thinking of using grip rite 2-1/2 " fine thread sheetrock screws

Started having second thoughts and have even considered using an air nailer and nails

Would be open to  both ideas and what to use and what would be wrong with what we have in mind

Screws for furring strip and for beadboard

nails for furring strips and bead board  

Thanks for any help

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-14T18:28:36+0000  by Doc1 Doc1

Hi Doc1, I’m Ken with The Home Depot in California, Welcome to the community. We’re glad you want to be a part of the how to family.

That’s an awesome idea for a ceiling. I had thought about doing that a couple years ago.

You’re on the right track. I think bigger is better. I would use 3 inch coarse threaded drywall screws to secure the furring strips to the ceiling joist. The fine thread is used for securing drywall to steel joist or steel studs.

I would use 1-1/2 inch drywall screws for hanging the bead board to the furring strips. I would place screws about every 16 inches for support. This should keep the bead board flat.

Finish by spackling the screw heads, then touch up with paint.

I prefer using screws especially when hanging something over my head. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-03-14T19:24:27+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Hi Doc1, nice to see you again.

what with all the projects you have going on...how do you find time to sleep?:smileywink:

Have you considered just nailing the bead board to the sheetrock surface with 1/12 finish nails. Just add some construction adhesive behind each panel before nailing.

010675001_181048_web_425H_425W.jpga5f237df-5889-49ab-99fd-bf095e1a2335_400.jpg086830004326.jpg

I am just a little concerned about all the extra weight that would be added to a 2 x 4 joist ceiling with 1 x 3's and Bead board.

Maybe some other members will chime in with some thoughts.

Posted 2011-03-14T18:49:12+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks PaintPro

The problem with that is the sheetrock is buckled in places plus it has the popcorn look or blowed acoustic . The house was built in 1977 and a good number 1 grade 2 x 4  was used in the ceiling

The furring strips are really light weight probaly less than a couple of pounds each

I should say we are alos going to be putting 3'4 inch Rmate Rmax-3 type insulation up first  which again is really light weight.

We can't hit  all of the ceiling joist as they are not on center ,which is the purpose of the furr strips

When the house was built ,it was built backwards which was fine until we tried doing some things and then found that they did not lay out the joist correctly .

Guess I should have spelled it out a little more sorry for not doing that,I know how hard it is to give a correct answer without all the info and again I apoligise for that

Believe me I do have a lot of projects and they take me a long time to do them ,but after 43 years with the same woman I have learned just start the next one and work the others in lol

Posted 2011-03-14T19:07:26+0000  by Doc1

Thanks ken,

I started with the three inch screws as suggested. Quickly found out that the sheet/drywall was bowed so bad they would not reach. Went with a 3 1/2 inch and that sucked it up aganist the ceiling joist very well.

I will still us ethe 1 1/2 inch for the bead board.

Paintpro thanks for your input as well as I had not thought of using a adhesive,but as bowed as the rock was i do not think the bead board would alone would pull it up so it would not look bowed as well

Posted 2011-03-17T11:45:25+0000  by Doc1

Doc1 I'm glad this is working out for you. Would you please post some pictures of your finished project. I would really like to see how it turned out. Again welcome to the community and look forward to your questions.

Posted 2011-03-17T16:40:37+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Well, we have just about got the bathroom ceiling done  andr it really looks good.

We  used  a few 3 1/2 " screws to pull the insulation and furring strips up tight and then used 3 " screws to finish securing the furring strips in place.

We  then went with the 1 1/2 " coarse thread screws to secure the bead board in place ,we used a counter sink so the heads of the screws would be flush with the bead board.

We will be moving to the living room next and for the start we will hang all of the furring strips with the insulation and then  purchase the bead board to cover .

The insulation has been a big help or sure seems to .The bathroom would be cold and a heater would take a long time to warm up now it only take a few minutes,will say that it also gets colder in there now as well

By putting the insulation in the living room we are hoping this will cut our heating and cooling cost even more.

We used the RMAX R3 Plus . in 3/4 " thickness for the money this gave the best  R value

Will post pics as soon as we can we haved acamera and all the fancy stuff just don't quite have the hang of how to get them from point A to Point B lol

Posted 2011-03-24T19:07:36+0000  by Doc1

Hey Doc1, I'm glad your insulation project is working out well.

Doc1 wrote:

Will post pics as soon as we can we haved acamera and all the fancy stuff just don't quite have the hang of how to get them from point A to Point B lol.

PatInPaint has a blog with directions on how to upload pictures from your computer to this website:

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/The-Paint-Pit-Blog/A-Picture-Is-Worth-A-Thousand-Words-How-To-Post-Your-Pictures/ba-p/11669

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-25T15:31:37+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

It has been a while since I was here last . My project got put on the back burner. Shortly after starting this thread the world has fell down around us. Heard that old saying move that house or tear down that house well I am about there.

Started the  project ,then not only took one severe illness had two more hit at the same time. Been off sick  work for some time ,so shorter paycheck. Meds are tough to handle.

On top of that the commode started leaking and is in the last stages of falling through ,huge rain shoved the kitchen cornor off the blocks it is sagging ,huge wind came through and toppled 10-12  very big trees putting big limbs on the roof starting it to leak. Car engine blew up now getting fixed and that is the short version

Did finally manage to get the bathroom complete and it really looks good.

Will get some pics on the living room when I get it done.

I always hated to see a post and then it just die with no info on it .

I did first install the silver faced 3/4 " insulation and that was a big improvement ,then screwed 3/4" x 3" by 8 ' wood lathe I guess what you call it cheap boards long ways of the rafters. The 4x 8 ft sheets of groved plywood we are using will go crossways over that. We have managed to get one sheet up in the living area.

Any  way this is my update for now and will add more as I get the project  further along

Posted 2011-07-08T22:17:55+0000  by Doc1

Doc thanks for the update!

I also hate to see post die with no info on it.

I can  appreciate you finding time to follow up with everything you got going on.

Jeeze illness, engine blew off, tree limbs on top of the roof...

You are probably wondering what’s next...hang in there Doc.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." 

Posted 2011-07-12T18:56:56+0000  by George_HD_CHI
It has been 4 years since I started the project of just putting Bead board on a ceiling
 As some have seen, we have had some really serious issues
 I wanted to post a few pics  of what we have done to our home over the last couple of years
 Some of the work we did ourselves as my health would let me some we had done and some we had help doing
 The job is still not finished but we are getting there
 Glad the thread is not closed
 Will add as soon as I can find out how
Posted 2016-04-05T02:14:14+0000  by Doc1

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+