Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

unique bed-possible?

Bought a new house and my 11 yr. old daughter's room is very small. It's on the top floor, with angled ceilings and built in drawers and shelves. Her twin size daybed takes up almost all the floor space. A large window is on the only flat wall, so I can't do a murphy bed, even horizontally. Is it possible to do a "hanging" bed from the ceiling (there is some attic space above her room) that can be raised with some sort you cable pulley system? Just an idea :-) Any suggestions or other ideas would be appreciated. Thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-01T05:42:13+0000  by new2diy new2diy

Thanks for stopping by.:smileyhappy:

It sounds like you already have an interesting approach to the problem..But I would be concerned about the possibility of something unforeseen happening with  a "hanging bed" design.

Have you considered a sleeping loft that is built up into that extra space you have in the ceiling?  With a ladder - you don't loose any floor space and it can be made safer with handrails along the front.

Another thought would be to build a low bed with a wooden frame around the mattress.  Then construct a platform that sets on top of the structure when not in use.  That way the bed space can still be a living space.

Maybe some of our "outside the box" thinkers can chime in as well.

Posted 2012-07-01T19:32:42+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

The loft idea mentioned above first came to mind. It's commonly used in dorm rooms to provide more floor space. There are all kinds of designs for kids beds to minimize their footprint on the floor. They usually incorporate storage and desk space, although some are just done for the sake of whimsy.

This last one, while the reverse of your particular room layout, shows what can be accomplished with a ceiling such as yours. 

Can you post some pictures of the room?

Posted 2012-07-01T20:02:19+0000  by Paul
Thank you both for your ideas. Tha loft bed might work if it is placed in the center of the room. I like the look you the beds attached to the wall, however the window ends 6 inches you so below the ceiling so it wouldn't work. She already has a built in desk against the wall so I would just leave it open. As soon as I unearth my camera from one of these boxes I will post some pics :-)
Posted 2012-07-02T01:19:42+0000  by new2diy

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for nor would it most likely fit but...

pirate_ship_bedroom.jpg

Posted 2012-07-10T21:00:27+0000  by Artemis88

Where is the information to the second picture? Where do I find one like that

Posted 2012-07-31T01:07:44+0000  by Astorm32

There are no plans that I know of, nor do I remember where I found the picture. I tried to find it again with no luck. Sorry.

Posted 2012-07-31T02:37:43+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+