Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

vinyl flooring on wall

I have 100 year old plaster with probably 20+ year old wallpaper on it. The wallpaper is done perfectly you hardly can see the seams and there is no peeling on it. I want to do a barn wood wall look. I am hoping to glue either peel and stick or vinyl flooring pieces on to it.

A) Would this work?

B) Would something like gorilla glue hold the pieces up on the wall?

Taking the wallpaper down is not an option, the plaster will come off with it. We are currently looking for a quick easy fix, somewhere down the road we will put drywall up. This is only for esthetical reasons.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-09T16:41:39+0000  by LSZerr LSZerr

Hello LSZerr, and welcome to the Community!

This sounds like a fun project, one that I wrote a article about awhile back, check this out,   How To Add Flooring on Your Wall,
post pictures of the project, we'd love to see it here!
Posted 2016-12-09T17:28:50+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
That is the original post that got me onto this website, I found it fantastic. My only hesitation is that I would be gluing the flooring to wallpaper. We can not use nails due to the plaster and we are not able to take the wallpaper off for that same reason.

Do you think that it will hold up and not crumble the entire wall if a piece falls off? Should I be using a stronger adhesive?

Posted 2016-12-09T18:53:38+0000  by LSZerr
I was also thinking of using the flexible vinyl flooring and not the wood planks.
Posted 2016-12-09T18:54:31+0000  by LSZerr
Hello LSZerr.

I have an old, (1927), home with plaster walls.  I use a steamer to remove wallpaper and it comes off cleanly and easily.  A simple wall wash to make sure the last of the paste is gone and you should have a fine surface for mounting vinyl tiles. 

Chris.

Posted 2016-12-09T19:37:50+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
LSZerr,

If you don't want to remove the wallpaper, I recommend you wash the surface completely & then scuff the surface to get the best adhesion possible and make sure to vacuum all dust & debris prior to affixing the product,  otherwise you may see the product start to pull away days later.

Angelo
Posted 2016-12-09T19:54:45+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
Hey LSZerr,

I just wanted to add one thing to the great information that Chris and Angelo has given you. 

In the link that Angelo provided on installing flooring on walls, that was laminate plank flooring. 

If you are looking to go for lower prices to update the look of your wall, typically laminate floors can be per square foot cheaper in price than vinyl. Plus, vinyl can bend and flex, laminate will not on the walls.

Plus, laminate flooring planks are thicker and won't have as many issues with the glue 'bleeding through' or discoloring the flooring. In fact, always test the back of any flooring you use on a wall with the glue of your choice to ensure no adverse or discoloration occurs.

So in closing, it would be easier, faster,  and most likely cheaper to use laminate flooring as per the instructions that Angelo already linked to you. 

Posted 2016-12-10T12:51:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+