Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-02T14:27:40+0000  by 3cowboys 3cowboys

what cause the bath tub faucet to leak?

Best Answer

Posted 2013-09-02T14:49:10+0000  by 3cowboys
how do you stop a leak bath tub faucet?
Posted 2013-09-02T14:51:46+0000  by 3cowboys
Hey 3cowboys!

Bath tub faucets have several very basic type valves and they are usually the source of any leak.

1) Valve body-style faucets have a brass or plastic valve which is opened and closed by a handle attached to the valve stem.

When these fail, it is often easier to replace the entire valve body than to locate and repair the faucet seal that is leaking.

HOW TO
Turn off the water supply, remove the handle and external cover plates, remove retaining clips, and remove the valve.

Take the valve to your local Plumbing Department and your Plumbing Associate will ID the proper replacement valve.

Reassemble the faucet and turn the water supply back on.

Inspect for leaks.

2) Valve seats are spring loaded, rubber seats found inside the valve body. Replacing the seats and springs will typically repair the leak.

HOW TO
Turn off the water supply, remove the handle and external cover plate, and remove the handle assembly.

In the back of the valve body you will remove two (one for hot and one for cold) rubber seats and two springs.
Take these to your Plumbing Associate and they will ID the proper replacement seats.

A flashlight and needle nose pliers will help you remove and replace these small pieces.

Once reassembled, turn the water supply back on and inspect for leaks.

NOTE:
Each of these repairs requires that tight-fitting pieces slide into place, so use a Vaseline-type lubricant to allow contact points to slide.
Posted 2014-09-16T22:41:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
More recently 3cowboys, I encountered an off-brand replacement valve designed as a less expensive replacement part for a Moen shower valve.

When installed, it worked initially, but failed and began to drip within months.

I can't vouch for this across all brands, but when you buy replacement valves for Moen, stick with original Moen replacement valves.

The shower valve in question hasn't leaked since (the second repair).

HOW TO:
It isn't so much the actual repair; it is more about not having to do it twice!

I more strongly recommend products that I've tried and found to work well the first time.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2015-12-15T23:22:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+