Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

1 burner on GE cooktop not working



I just purchased a house with a GE JGP336 Cooktop.  The bottom right burner does not light.  I can hear and smell gas when trying to turn it on, but there is no clicking.  I lite the burner with a match. Flames came out of the burner head on every spot except where the electrode is and directly opposite side of the electrode.  This is the same on the other working burners.


From what I can find online and from a person at the local Home Depot, the ignitor/electrode would need to be replaced. I replaced the electrode and it worked once.  Afterwards it still did not work so I am at a lost.  Any help appreciated.





Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-10T18:44:11+0000  by dfsubscriptions dfsubscriptions

sorry disregard this post. forgot i posted this question already.

Posted 2012-09-10T18:47:31+0000  by dfsubscriptions

Hi Dfsubscriptions,


Usually if only one burner does not light the issue is a clogged orifice on the burner body.


The orifice controls the gas flow. If it is clogged insufficient gas reaches the burner and it does not light.


Try removing the burner and cleaning the base with regular household cleaner and water or place it in your dishwasher.


Also the hole in the burner top behind the igniter may be clogged, use a small needle to open the hole.


If the steps do not solve the problem, try contacting GE Appliances customer service at

1-800-432-2737 or go to and click on the service and repair tab.


I hope this information is useful to you.



Posted 2012-09-10T19:51:39+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi HDAnswerman,


It is not a clogged orifice as gas flow is not a problem. I can smell and hear the gas coming out.  It is electrical.  The electrode does not spark unless another burner is sparking.  


I've replaced the electrode already so it is not that too.  So I'm thinking it is either the spark switch or spark module but I don't see a way to get to either one to test it.

Posted 2012-09-14T01:44:02+0000  by dfsubscriptions

Hi Gfsubscriptions,


I mentioned the small needle size hole above the igniter because it is easy to overlook and if it is clogged, gas will not reach the igniter and the gas will not ignite.


You will be able to smell gas it just isn't reaching the igniter.


The spark plugs do wear out, just like the plugs in your car. The electronic module also looses strength with age and the spark voltage drops, causing problems like this.


Try going to There you will find a complete troubleshooting and repair guide for your cooktop.


There you will be able to follow a step by step guide to solve your problem.


Good Luck with your repair.



Posted 2012-09-17T16:50:23+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question