Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

2nd Story leak in shower (Home built in 1895)

Hello,

I have a home built in rural Oregon in the year 1895. It is a two story home with issues at every turn. The bathroom has a claw-foot tub and a separate shower stall installed???I don't know when..The problem began with a PVC pipe that was used to plumb hot water to the upstairs. It blew out under the shower pan (48x34)  and of course the ceiling on the first floor fell through..I have replaced the pvc with cpvc and all was seemingly well..Now, I have a leak I believe is coming from behind the wall where the shower fixtures are installed. The shower "stall" is drywall with 12x12 ceramic tiles affixed to the drywall...How do I remove the walling, tile etc., and do I re-hang dry wall and then proceed as the following Home Depot link suggests?

http://community.homedepot.com/homedepot/board/message?board.id=replace&message.id=811#M811

I have never done anything like this and I am running low on patience, time and money...I am a school teacher and need to be back in the classroom by 07/27...Can anyone help?

Thanks,

AlphaOmegaVw

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-14T20:17:58+0000  by alphaomegavw alphaomegavw

Hey there Alphaomegavw the decision to put greenboard behind the backerboard really depends on how much clearance is needed to extend the backer board beyond the lip of your shower surround. Generally speaking you do not need to put greenboard behind your backerboard. In a perfect world you would use the following materials in this order:

-Studs 16”oc

-furring strips (whatever thickness is required to bring the tile over your flange) 

-waterproof membrane of choice

-1/2” backerboard

-mastic/mortar(with admix)

-tile

You can put greenboard on the studs instead of furring strips but keep in mind that extra ½” will need to be transitioned down to the rest of the drywall. By contrast a 1/4” or 1/8” gap (from furring strips) may be easier to transition.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions. A house of that vintage will make any man into a handyman!

-Blake

Posted 2011-06-20T18:41:31+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Blake,

Thanks for your help.. I will give it a go..

Best Regards,

Alphaomegavw

Posted 2011-06-21T15:59:48+0000  by alphaomegavw

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+