Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

2x2 ceiling tiles

I have a popcorn ceiling in a 100 yr old house. how do I install 2x2 vinyl ceiling tiles over it? Thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-09T19:12:43+0000  by two4nani two4nani

Hey two4nani,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Depending on what type of ceiling tiles you want to install will determine how they will be installed. For example, most 2 x 2 tiles will require a grid system hung just below the existing ceiling (as shown below).

While this seems like a lot of work, it actually will be better for you in the long run. Other 2 x 2 tiles can be installed by gluing it directly to the ceiling.

This is an easier approach, it actually can cause issues further down the road in case any repairs need to be done with the ceiling. Also, you'd most likely need to sand the popcorn off in order for the tiles to adhere on a clean and level surface.

So in closing, I hope you were referring to 2 x 2 ceiling tiles that require a grid system for you to install them. It's more work now, but the rows will look cleaner and better. Let me know what exactly kind of tiles you want to put up there and I can assist you further.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-11T15:27:00+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+