Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

3 speed ceiling fan / light fixture

You have answered a similar question before and I would be grateful for additional information.
I switched out a ceiling light/fan from 1 room to another.  Worked perfectly with pull down 3 speed fan chain.
Wired up--like it was previously (different location) where 1 switch works the light and another (single pole) switch works the fan.
Lights work perfect.  Fan is now locked into HIGH speed.  Have not tried to mess with replacing the 3 speed controller built into the unit.
This was your first recommendation.......
What I want to do instead is take the easy way out.  
CAN I REPLACE THE SINGLE POLE WALL TOGGLE SWITCH (FOR THE FAN) WITH AN "APPROVED" 3 SPEED DIMMER FAN SWITCH?  WILL IT CONVERT/ALLOW THE HIGH SPEED FAN TO ADJUST TO THE OTHER SPEEDS OR WILL THE FAN STILL BE LOCKED INTO HIGH?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-11T00:11:40+0000  by Lando Lando

Hey Lando,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

As long as the receiver/remote for the ceiling fan can be by-passed, then you can attempt to by-pass it and wire it via the 3 speed switch as you stated.

However, some receivers are fully integrated with the ceiling fan, so by-passing may be difficult or impossible.

If there is a receiver in your fan above the motor inside the ceiling canopy, this is the version that can be completely removed and by-passed.

If not, I can't say with certainty if you can successfully setup everything this way without getting more information from you. Namely, what's the brand/UPC/SKU/Model number...whatever you can find on the sticker on top of the fan.

I can't stress this enough, knowing what type of ceiling fan can greatly assist you in solving, troubleshooting, and ultimately repairing your fan.

As long as everything is safely wired separately to its respective switches, you can do this. But, to make sure, know what your fan is first and go from there. Once you know what ceiling fan you have, then you can contact its manufacturer for more information.

Update on your progress and even what type of fan you have, and we can assist you further.

Joseph

Posted 2016-07-11T18:40:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+