Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

3 speed pull chain replacement

I have replaced the 3 speed pull chain fan switch on an older Hunter fan. The wires are Black (hot) brown, purple and grey. After connecting the new switch the fan did operate and there now is a small green wire that must have come disconnected when I was taking out old switch. In researching the internet some have said this is a ground but there nowhere on the fan chassis to connect it. As  test I touched that green wire to the black and one speed worked. Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks Rhett Davis
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-09T20:47:28+0000  by Rhett Rhett

Are there any other green wires coming out of the fan housing or grounded up in the ceiling to the wall of the box?
Posted 2016-07-10T02:06:25+0000  by 777ErikWells
Hello Rhett.  Welcome to the Community!

Ceiling fan internal wiring, and especially colors of wire, vary by manufacturer.  On some fans the green wire can be one of the switched power wires, unlike house wiring where green is ALWAYS ground.  Since you know you have a Hunter fan, what I would do is contract the Hunter Technical Support Team at 1-800-830-1326.  They are available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm CST and Saturday 11am-4pm CST. 

Hunter Fan Website

Chris.

Posted 2016-07-12T16:13:21+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+