Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

3 way switch

I have added a fixture to a 3-way circuit (I did check and the circuit is adequate), at the switch, I have power everywhere! I need to know the correct connections for my new light.

I tried to just connect to the top and bottom of the switch, but it seems to be backwards, on when it should be off, etc....There are two black wires  (top and bottom, and one red wire:side) it appears that the white wires are tied together.

Where should I be connecting the new fixture wires?(black/white)   Thanks..

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-27T17:19:52+0000  by fiftyford fiftyford

Hey fiftyford.

Both switches run to the first light. The second light will only be able to be controlled by those 2 switches if you wire it through the first light fixture. ww bb gg

Best Answer

Posted 2011-03-27T18:40:30+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hey fiftyford.

It took me a second to make sense out of this but I figured it out. When installing the new fixture you do not need to connect the new fixture to the switch itself. The new light needs to be connected to the old light. Simply connect white to white, black to black, and ground to ground. You will not need a red wire when connecting the 2nd light.  Be sure to kill the power in the breaker box when working on this.

switch============= old light ============== new light

----------------------

Posted 2011-03-27T18:14:07+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Thanks, I will give it a try.....although I did try to connect white to white (they were tied together) and black to to switch. The result was as stated...This circuit also has a 'half-hot' recept. on it...does that matter?

Posted 2011-03-27T18:25:05+0000  by fiftyford

note:

switch-------recept.----switch

I am trying to control the new light with the switc:   switch-----recept.------switch(to light)

thanks

Posted 2011-03-27T18:27:05+0000  by fiftyford

I want to power and control the light from the second switch...

Posted 2011-03-27T18:28:31+0000  by fiftyford

gotcha...thank you

Posted 2011-03-27T18:47:23+0000  by fiftyford

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+