Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

4 Basic Grilling steps to a fun filled Fourth of July

4 Basic grilling steps for a fun filled Fourth of July

I get this question all the time. What is the difference between barbecuing and grilling?

The difference in these is, grilling is cooking with the lid up or off and barbecuing is lid down, heat low and slow. Here are some basic things to remember this outdoor cooking season.

1.     Keep the grill grates hot and keep them clean. Place cooking oil, (canola oil is high temperature oil) on a paper towel and using tongs rub the grill grates with it. This will aid in having your food not stick to the grill.

2.     When firing up your grill using propane or natural gas, heat the grill for 15-20 minutes before you place any food on it. This helps so food can sear faster and not stick to the grill. If you’re grilling, this is the type of cooking where you need to keep a constant eye on the grill, so you don’t burn or dry out your meat.

3.     When using a charcoal grill, use a chimney starter and not lighter fluid. This will keep your food from tasting like lighter fluid. Let the charcoal burn until there is a white ash before you place your food on the grill grates. If you’re slow cooking, push the charcoal to one side of the barbecue and place your food on the other side and cook using indirect heat. You will want to adjust the vents on your barbecue for more or less heat depending on what you need. This type of cooking takes time, so relax and enjoy yourself.

4.     Some of the basic accessories  to have on hand are;

A. Barbecue utensils, (tongs, fork, spatula, sauce brush).

B. Thermometer.

C. Barbecue mitt or glove.

D. Platter with cover for food when done.

So whether you’re grilling or barbecuing, enjoy your time outdoors and be safe.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-02T19:52:07+0000  by Ken_HD_OC Ken_HD_OC

Ken,

I'm a big fan of chimney starters and especially Weber kettle grills!  The great thing about chimney starters is that besides not having to use and store toxic and flammable starter fluids, it's a one time investment.  No more running out to buy more starter fluid at the last minute.

When it comes to selecting a chimney starter most stores have two, the original Weber and some cheaper no-name model. 

Resist the urge to save a couple of dollars and buy the Weber model instead, especially if you have a Weber grill.  One oft the reasons the no-name starter is cheaper is that it's smaller (less metal, less money to manufacture).  Unfortunately what you'll find is that the cheap one doesn't hold enough charcoal to fill your Weber grill.  They're also generally poorly constructed and that handle falls apart pretty quickly.  Not a good thing to have happen when it's full of burning charcoal!

The instructions call for balling up a sheet or two of newspaper in the bottom of the starter.  While that works fine I usually put a teaspoon or so of cooking oil on the paper.  Any kind of cooking oil works - vegetable, corn, canola, olive, and even cooking spray.  With the oil on the paper it burns a bit longer and gets the charcoal going all the more quickly.

Don't have any newspaper?  Use a paper grocery bag, a few sheets of copy paper, or even the old phone bill.
Posted 2015-07-03T10:40:37+0000  by Adam444
Thanks Adam444, thanks for some additional tips. I haven't tried using cooking oil on my newspaper. I will have to remember that. Yes I love my chimney starter. It works like a charm.
Posted 2015-07-06T18:42:55+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+