Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

4 wires to connect to 2 wire smoke detector

I have smoke detector wiring with 2 black and two red wires. How do I connect to new 2 wire smoke detector?
Also I have wiring with black, blue, yellow, and red wires. How do I connect to new 2 wire smoke detector?
The above wiring was connected to very old 2 wire smoke detectors that I need to replace.
Thank you.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-12T23:27:11+0000  by Harold15 Harold15

Modern hardwired smoke alarms have the option of be interconnected - when one goes off they all go off.  Local codes generally require using the interconnect when possible.  As with any 120 volt electrical device, you have a "hot" and a neutral to provide power.  A third wire is used to interconnect the alarms, which is usually red or orange.  If your home was wired with non-metallic cable (aka Romex) then typically the black wire will be the power and the red wire will be the interconnect.  If you happen to have metal conduit, then the wire colors options are much larger.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you have going on.  When you say "2 black and 2 red" and "black, blue, yellow, and red" where those wires are coming from.  Are these two different junction boxes?  Is that the household wiring or the wires coming out of the smoke detectors?  How were the old detectors wired?  What brand/model of smoke detector are you installing?

Posting pictures can help a lot too but give us a little more detailed explanation and someone will try to help.
Posted 2015-07-13T09:28:53+0000  by Adam444
Hi Harold15!

As much as I love old-school solutions, some new school products exceed the old capabilities in both function and practicality.

In your case, I'd recommend you go wireless and interconnected with Kidde Battery Operated Wireless Smoke Alarms.

This new school alarm will work in a detached garage, basement, work shop, or home.

Each is able to interconnect and sound an alert on all others when safety measures require.
Posted 2015-07-14T22:41:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+