Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

5 Ways to Attract Fireflies in Your Yard

Throughout most areas of the country, a sure fire way to tell that warmer months are finally here are the presence of fireflies when the sun begins to set.

Also called lightning bugs in my part of the country, these were always a favorite to catch and release when I was a kid. In fact, whenever I go outside I still try to gently capture them to see them fly off my hand.

Fireflies grow in almost any temperate and warm climate throughout the country. Chances are if you've seen them lighting up around your neighborhood, you can attract them in your own yard.

Their natural luminescence is really a treat to see if you have a large yard. But how can you attract these little fellows? Well, here are some tips to assist you.

1. While there are various species of fireflies, all require you not to have pesticides where they will be in your yard. This in and of itself is a great start to attract fireflies in your yard.
  2. Be sure your yard has tall grasses, shrubs, or wooded areas near water. It doesn't need to be a large body like a lake, but even a small creek will do. Fireflies also like bright colors, so a flower garden would be an ideal spot for them.
  3. Reduce the amount of light around your yard so you can view the fireflies easier. This can actually confuse them, making them leave your yard.
  4. Be patient. If you don't see them right away early in the summer, they may be waiting until later in the warmer months to mate, which is late summer.
  5. If you decide to catch them, do so carefully. Their wings are fragile, so opt for a glass jar with a pierced top or a net. If you decide to catch them in your hands, do so VERY carefully, so as not to injure them. Fireflies are not abundant in numbers as they once were, so treat everyone you see with respect so you and I can enjoy them for the future.

Of course, if you live in an urban area or have no yard, The Home Depot does sell a firefly jar solar powered light shown in the image above that looks almost like the real thing. Click here to find out more information. 

You can pick up this light at your local Home Depot store or here online.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-06T19:00:00+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+