Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

A New Designer Life for an Old Rubber Tire: Multy Home EnviroTiles™

My local Home Depot store just started getting ready for spring.  The patio furniture is arriving in our garden department and that’s where I found this great new product: Multy Home EnviroTiles™.

Sand_secondary_4.jpg

Envirotiles are an environmentally-friendly product that is the ideal re-surfacing solution to renew, restore and resurface many outdoor and indoor flooring spaces.  The tiles are made from 100% recycled rubber tires that were diverted from landfills.   They are designed to work on horizontal surfaces: place them directly on top of any existing flat surface (decks, patios, porches, balconies, verandas, walkways, poolside, basements, or workrooms).  Envirotiles are impact-friendly, weather-resistant, and noise-absorbing.   They are durable; they will not break, crack, warp, peel, or crumble.  Simply rinse off the tiles with a garden hose for easy cleaning.  Grooves let the water flow beneath the tiles.

9c4adffe-45c2-46bb-be35-730589945080_300.jpg  33a0eb26-1f58-4f54-af48-0ca90d6b4280_300.jpg  bfcfa908-75bd-451c-8e37-55c8767be9b8_300.jpg  3a1792e5-699e-40cc-84f2-e8586dece310_300.jpg  

Envirotiles come in a variety of styles and colors - designed to look like concrete pavers.  They are lighter in weight than a paver and are easy to install. Connector clips secure the tiles together.  The tiles can be trimmed with a utility knife or jigsaw.   

921989e0-73af-4ae9-b6c8-23b5bcc73dd0_300.jpg   Connectors secure the tiles from the underside by using a mallet.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-28T20:21:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello!  I am planning on using the rubber pavers in our yard (21'x37') as an alternative to stone for our Chicago home and have several questions.  I did read everything I could find in the "community."

1.  Are the rubber pavers a good choice for how we will use the space?  We have an "easy set" pool (inflate the ring, fill with water and it rises, 5500 gal water at most) that will sit on top of about half of the space (the east side of the rectangle) for the summer months. Otherwise, the kids will use it to play basketball & floor hockey.  I am wondering if the rubber pavers are a good choice for this use. Two edges will bump up to the concrete, the third to a veggie garden, the final to a small strawberry patch.  If it is appropriate to use the rubber pavers, are there any additional/different steps we should take to make sure the pavers don't sink or move?  

2.  Should we "skip" the leveling sand? We have removed the sod and are in the process of removing the dirt.  The plan is to dig out 8" of dirt, lay geotextile, compact to 6' of gravel (in stages, compacting 2" each "stage) and skip the sand.  We are worried the water from the pool will displace the sand, then the rubber pavers which is why we are planning on using extra gravel and skipping the sand.  Also, should we install perforated drains that let out in the garden?  If yes, where? (under the geotextile?)

3.  Should we use the adhesive or the clips or both for the most secure installation?  I am also planning on using the rubber edging/finishing strips but I want to ensure this is as solid as possible. If we use adhesive, what is it glued to?  I understand that the adhesive goes on the rubber paver, and the paver is then placed.  So, is it glued to the compacted gravel?

4.  How wise is it to try a pattern with rubber pavers?  I was thinking of using the red flat in a diagonal pattern for the center/most of the space and the brown flat around the perimeter of the pattern, edged by the red "brick" (cut so it looks like individual bricks laid side by side) and secured by the finishing strips.  It is a large space, so I want something interesting, but I read the pavers are difficult to cut and sometimes hard to secure with the clips.  Will the pattern be more trouble than it is worth or result in a less secure patio?

Any advice is much appreciated!  Thank you!

Posted 2013-05-13T15:27:20+0000  by mobres

Hello daisylady and thank you for joining the discussions.  We are glad that you are here. 

As long as your concrete patio is relatively level, you can use the connector clips with good success.  Secure all the tiles together to keep the floor uniform looking and have less gaps between the tiles.  Using connector clips in the center tiles is optional since securing the perimeter tiles will keep the interior tiles in place.  I spoke to the manufacturer who recommended using the clips for best results in your Houston climate.

You would need to allow a small space for expansion and contraction between the tiles if you choose to secure your tiles in place with the rubber sealant (see the product mentioned in an earlier reply in this thread).   This method is not preferred in your area due to the hot summer environment.

Best wishes and we look forward to hearing about your project on The Community.  

DW wexram.png

PS - We love to see before and after photos!

Posted 2012-01-03T19:41:23+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

This thread has been SO helpful! It's answered several of my questions about leveling ground, but I just want to confirm installation technique. I'd like to install the tiles on my 10'x15' concrete patio in the Houston area. Should I, or should I not, use concrete adhesive and/or the clips? 

Thanks so much for your help!

Posted 2012-01-01T01:46:54+0000  by daisylady

Hello dh1218 and thanks for your questions.  We are glad that you joined The Community.

I spoke to the folks at EnviroTiles  to see if there were any additional tips or suggestions for getting a clean straight cut.  They suggested first scoring the tile, bending it up towards yourself (over the score line), then putting the tile down flat before completely cutting through it.  The bending may help achieve the clean straight cut you desire. 

I understand that a project of this size may require many tiles being cut.  We want to make your process easier and your finished project more attractive. 

Thanks again for joining our discussions.  Please keep us posted on your progress and best wishes! 

dw26.png

Posted 2011-11-11T20:54:38+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hey there dh1218 a fine jigsaw blade should work out just fine.  

A tip for using a utility knife to produce a smooth and clean cut is to make sure you have a sharp blade, and to make sure you don't try and force your way through the tile.  Think of it in the same way you cut plexi-glass, a series of moderate pressure scoring will allow you to get through the tile without leaving a ragged edge.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-11-06T18:03:04+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

I'm having a problem using a utility knife to get a good clean straight cut and will need to buy an inexpensive jigsaw. Can you tell me what kind of blade to buy ie wood, metal, course or find.

Thanks,

dh1218

Posted 2011-11-06T17:50:57+0000  by dh1218

Hello Chapy08 and welcome to The Community.  We are glad that you are here!

I spoke to our manufacturer and they have some great tips and information for you.  During a recent remodel, professional installers gave these recommendations to prevent shifting:

• Excavate 8-10”
  • Fill in with limestone screening (gravel with sand is better than just gravel)
  • Tamp down and level the limestone screening at least every 4”

Other posts on The Community mention using landscape fabric on top of the excavation (before filling in) to ensure that no weeds will grow up and proper drainage can flow down. 

It is impossible to say whether the tiles will shift as there are many factors for consideration.  Shifting occurs with homes, driveways, concrete, etc.   One of the benefits of the Envirotiles is the ease with which you can take up the tiles and add more screening if necessary to correct any problems that may arise.

Another important note: the manufacturer does not recommend using clips when installing on limestone or gravel.  The perimeter should, however, be secured with some sort of landscape material, wood, etc. 

Best wishes with your upcoming project and please keep us posted on your progress!

dw13.png

Posted 2011-08-16T21:23:04+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck installing these as a patio surface where grass used to exist, as you would conventional pavers.  I am looking at removing a 10' x 15' area of grass to create a patio, and I would like to use these.  I know it has been said that it can be done, but I was wondering if people were happy with the results.  I'm just not sure how much ground shifting I could expect to happen, even with tampering.  Before I made the investment and tried, I just wanted to see what I can expect to happen.

Posted 2011-08-13T15:25:12+0000  by Chapy08

Hello shazam777 and welcome to The Community!  I am glad that you joined our discussion.

I spoke to the manufacturer of the Envirotiles to get the best response to your questions. 

As for the warranty and longevity of the tile, the product has been tested for 5 years to confirm performance and has been available in the marketplace for 3 years.    

With UV exposure, the sheen on the tiles will fade to a matte finish.   The grey color will experience the least amount of color fading (some fading will be noticeable).

As for the moss, is the patio in a shady area?  The manufacturer told me that they have not had any comments about moss growing underneath or on top of the tiles.  The tiles will withstand power-washing as necessary. 

The Envirotiles will not curl so trip hazards and unattractiveness from warping should not be a concern.   (You may have seen some overseas imported tiles with undisclosed fillers that reacted poorly in extreme weather conditions.)

There is a great room visualizer, product calculator, and installation video available on the manufacturer’s website.

Best wishes on your concrete patio project and please keep us posted on your progress. 

dw69.png

Posted 2011-07-01T13:35:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I have a few questions about the Envirotile product.

First: I assume this is a relatively new product since there doesn't seem to be much literature or discussion out in the cloud yet, so is there any information from the manufacturer about expected longevity?  A 5-year limited warranty doesn't provide me with much confidence that the product has a long life expectancy.  Rubber products are often prone to UV damage.  Can I expect that this product will last 20 years before needing replacement?  30 years?  More?  At $7/tile, it will cost a lot for me to install this over my big concrete patio, so I'd like assurances that it will last awhile.

Second: similar to my first question, is there any information from the manufacturer about fade resistance?  I'm leaning towards the gray tile, which I think will probably experience the least amount of fading, but what if I decide to go with one of the darker colors?  My installation location experiences a lot of shade on one side and a lot of sun on the other - will my patio look goofy after one summer's worth of sun exposure, with dark tiles on the shady side and light tiles on the sunny side?

Third: how about moss resistance?  I live in the pacific northwest.  Currently I have to power-wash the moss off my patio every couple of years.  If I cover this patio with the rubber tiles, will the moss simply grow on the tiles instead?  While I don't mind power-washing the patio every few years, will the rubber tiles hold up to being power-washed?  Slightly different problem - will the moss grow underneath the tiles?  I am much less willing to disassemble the whole kit'n'kaboodle every few years to clear out the moss underneath the tiles!

Fourth: is it TRULY resistant to warpage?  I've seen a lot of playgrounds with rubber tiles and a lot of them seem to have curled corners, which end up being a trip hazard (and look bad too). 

I guess the bottom line to all my questions is: can we see more data from the manufacturer?  In-service data?

Thanks,

S. Hansen

Posted 2011-06-28T20:22:54+0000  by shazam777
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+