Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Able to turn regular toilet in to high effeciency toilet?

Can you change a regular toilet in to a high effeciency toilet by updating the parts in the tank, or does it take more than that?

I have a 8 year old toilet where the overflow tube broke at the bottom. All of the inner parts are plastic and I am looking for a way to convert it to more high efficiency. Is this possible, or am I better off just purchasing a new toilet?

thanks for any help you can lend.

CWR

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-27T18:43:00+0000  by CWR CWR

Hello CWR,

Welcome to the community.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “high efficiency” if you mean more water efficient then yes you can change out the inner parts to make it more water efficient.

I changed mine at my house to the Duo Flush system that’s made by Fluidmaster and they work great.

Duo Flush Fluidmaster.jpg

The Fluidmaster Duo Flush Valve allows you to quickly convert your existing toilet into a Dual Flush toilet. Duo Flush enables you to use less water by offering two different flush settings, one for liquids and one for solids, and with Duo Flush technology you save water without sacrificing flush performance. Duo Flush replaces the toilet flapper, thus eliminating potential leaks in the future.

I would say that if your toilet is in good condition and you’re not changing the color or style of your bathroom then I would recommend just changing the inners out to save water.

Thanks again for joining the community. Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-11-30T22:38:51+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

The solution might be amazingly simply and low cost. Anything placed in the tank that displaces water volumn, such as 3 or 4 bricks, will retain the water flushing action, while decreasing the water used. Obviously, what ever is used must not impede the movement of the float. Displacing water retains the waterhead, or height of the water level. The flushing action is determined by the height of the water( thus more pressure) , in addition to the amount of the water.

In the years right after the Government mandated high efficiency flushing, many manufacturers merely raised the level of the drain. This allowed for full water height, but unfortunately left about half of the water in the tank. Unfortunate because if one wanted to remove the tank, a lot of water had to be hand bailed out of it . As a wallpaperhanger, I had to remove hundreds of tanks over the years. :(

Posted 2012-12-13T04:31:28+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+