Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Accessing tailgate panel

My tailgate handle has broken off. I have the spray on bed liner covering the access panel and the hex bolts holding the panel. I need to cut through the liner material to replace the handle assembly. Anybody have suggestions as to the right tools and techniques to use?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-09-26T21:53:13+0000  by Roofy Roofy

Hi Roofy,

My recommendation would be to scrap away the spray on bed lining material off the hex bolts so a socket wrench or Allen head socket can be used to remove them.

Then using a utility knife carefully score the bed lining material so the access panel can be removed without disturbing the surrounding bed liner.

Once the repair is completed use black silicone sealer which is available at you local auto parts store, to create a weather tight seal around the access panel. You can cover the bolt heads with it too.

This will prevent moisture from seeping in under the bed liner and causing corrosion.

Mike
Posted 2014-09-29T17:02:28+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Absolutely Mike!

The only addition I can offer Roofy is to use a magnetic stud finder to locate the set screws.

If he is lucky, the surrounding panel will be plastic or fiber, allowing the magnetic stud finder to locate the set screws.
Posted 2014-11-11T17:24:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+