Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Accidental Concrete Dye and Sealer over Existing Old Sealer

Hi there,

Well, I wanted to dye and seal my concrete basement floor of a house I'm renting with approval and some reimbursement from landlord.  I chose the Eagle interior dye and Armor Seal water based products.  The house is 80 years old and the basement floor looked raw and unfinished, perfect for the job.

I cleaned it well and began the dye process.  I let the first coats cure over night, then added another coat the next day.  I let the final coat sit about 4 hours and added a coat of the Armor Seal.

The next day I came down and it looked like the Armor Seal had dissolved the dye as the floor was dark grey in many places and the seal itself didn't appear to by drying clear as expected.

I spoke with an Eagle rep and he suggested I try adding more dye on top of that then adding sealer over that.  I did a test spot and seemed to work so I did the whole floor.  After a couple coats of dye I let it sit.  Granted the dye wasn't soaking in but staying on top of sealer but it looked much better.

I let that sit 4 days and then applied a layer of sealer.  All seemed to go well.  The floor looked good and the sealer dryed ok.  I finished with another couple coats of sealer.

Now the floor looks good, but most of the floor has not cured after about a week and a half.  If I drop a little water, then rub with a microfiber cloth I can get what looks like some dye and sealer up.  The color also seems to continue disappearing in spots.  I'm not too worried about that as I'm hoping it will increase the chances of the sealer curing in those sections.  There ARE some sections that are lighter in color where the floor seems properly cured.

I live in Washington state so it's a bit cold and damp but the basement is pretty dry and warm.  I've had a dehumidifier keeping humidity below 50% for months now and the furnace heats it a bit.

So my question is, is it worth seeing if it will ever cure?  Continuing to heat / fan for I dunno, another month or so?  Or should I cut my losses (so I can actually start using my basement) and mop up what I can (that sounds like a bad idea too.)

At this point I think the old floor had some sealer on it and I failed at prepping the concrete to take the products in the first place.  But at this point, I just want a usable floor.  It looks great, but don't drop any water.  ANY help is greatly appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-05T02:09:06+0000  by lampramirez lampramirez

Hello lampramirez,

Thanks for your questions and welcome to the community!

The inconsistency of the stain not completely curing could be due to the low temperature when you applied and even possibly efflorescence in the concrete itself.

If you do or do not know, efflorescence is a white powdery substance on the surface of the concrete. It's caused by soluble salts seeping through the surface. Even if you've done a basic cleaning, this can still affect your slab during and after the curing time for the stain.

I'm not sure how effectively you cleaned or prepped the surface of the concrete, but it is crucial to the success of the stain to penetrate and cure properly. But as you said yourself, you floor had some existing sealer and didn't prep the surface like you said.

With any home improvement project, you HAVE to start on a clean slate with the right preparation. Without it, it can and will lead to things that will make you have to do double or triple the work. 

I've seen this with stains with not only concrete, but also with wood. If the stain cannot penetrate from it being blocked by materials on the surface, it simply won't cure and work.

So, it maybe be better to use a cleaning solution and really remove all layers of everything you've done and start over from scratch. With it contacting water or not, you have a floor that isn't going to dry, will become a magnet for dirt and dust, and will cause further issues down the road.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-09T16:53:27+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+