Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Acrylic mirror

I saw acrylic mirrors online and was wondering if that can be used as a kitchen backslash?   Can it be glued directly to the kitchen wall?   Does HD cut it ?  How would it look in a small kitchen?   I thought it would give the illusion of a bigger wall space since the kitchen is so tiny?  MY wife thinks it is too junky.  What else would anyone suggest if not the mirrors.?   This is the first time this kitchen will be updated in about 65 years.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-13T15:22:24+0000  by diyer_philapa diyer_philapa

Hello diyer_philapa and thank you for your question. 

You can find 12”x12” mirror tiles in plain edge and beveled edges at your local Home Depot store (look in the bath mirror area).  The tiles come 6 to a package. 

One great idea is to purchase the tiles and line them up against the wall where your backsplash will be installed.  You will be able to determine if this is a look that you want to achieve in your kitchen or abandon the idea before you invest time and money.

You can install these tiles on the wall; however, they are not recommended near or behind the stove because of the moisture and grease found near the cooking areas.  These mirrors, like most, are not designed for heavy-duty clean-up.  Keep toasters, toaster ovens, and countertop convection ovens away from the wall backsplash since they may generate a large amount of heat. 

If you decide to install the mirror tiles, they should be affixed to drywall using the mirror mastic and tape squares.  You will need to protect the back of the mirror (that is the part that makes the mirror a mirror).  You may want to use a clear caulk or non-sanded grout between the tiles to protect the back of the tiles from any moisture or other cleaning solutions.  The manufacturer has additional wall mirror installation instructions which may be helpful for your backsplash. 

Best wishes on your project and please keep us posted on your progress. 

Eileen script.png

Posted 2013-12-13T19:51:02+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+