Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Active water entry

I have a cinderblock foundation on my Mother's house. I have active water coming through the mortar at the block joints. It is an area 3ft wide x 3ft tall x 3ft long and about 1ft from the floor. It is in the center of the wall and the only area of the basement that this is occurring. Hydraulic cement WILL NOT stay in place long enough to set up and seal. There is a 2" gap around the entire foundation and floor and it is dry everywhere, except where water is running down wall. I ASSUME, the water is entering and filling blocks before seeping out through the mortar joint. The water pressure increases after rainfall. Gutters are all directed away from house, no shrubs and grass grown right to outside foundation. Again, ASSUMING the water table/water spring pressure rises due to ground water table pressure from rain. Noticed another house in neighborhood constantly has water draining at curbside.

I have never lived in this house, my Mother has passed and I now have a contract of sale. I do not want to sell house in this condition and am SURE the home inspector will make an issue about this! (AS I would expect!)

Being unemployed and trying to manage TWO mortgages, I need to sell NOW! But also WANT and NEED to fix the problem, as REASONABLE (read CHEAP) as possible!!!!  So..........

Should I drill weep holes at bottom of offending area?

Should I drill weep holes on both side blocks at offending mortar joint?

Can urethane foam be shot into the blocks to stop water entry?

Should a top and bottom hole be drilled to confirm foam spread?

How many blocks should I foam each side of the repair?

Is this even feasible or reliable?

Should I instead buy rope and form a noose?:smileyfrustrated:

Closing is 1 month away....HELP!!!!!!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-30T15:19:47+0000  by 200winz 200winz

Hi, Hello and thank you for joining our How-to-Community.

Let’s start with;

NO you don’t need to buy rope and NO you don’t need to form a noose.

What you do need is a 5gal pail of foundation sealer, 3/4 nap roller and a shovel (very reliable).

Foundation sealer.jpg

Yes, my recommendation is to address this leak from the exterior side of the wall.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but from my experience this is the only way to remedy this problem. Now this is my opinion, from my experience, maybe somebody here on the community has another suggestion; I encourage them to chime in.

If this is was concrete foundation then I would suggest to try injecting a two part epoxy or to use a hydraulic cement before anything else but having said this is a cinder block wall my only suggestion is to dig out the area around the offending spot and seal from the outside of the wall.

Should I drill weep holes at bottom of offending area?

I wouldnt do that, weep holes are just going to make things worse –you are going to let more water in and faster.

Should I drill weep holes on both side blocks at offending mortar joint?

Same thing.

Can urethane foam be shot into the blocks to stop water entry?

I’m not aware of the foam product that can be used as water stop-primary use of foam is to insulate. You may achieve some positive results but you will still have mortar joints to address.

Should a top and bottom hole be drilled to confirm foam spread?

If you were to use foam to fill the block cavity you would not need more than one hole to confirm the foam spread.

How many blocks should I foam each side of the repair?

I would not recommend foam for this application.

Is this even feasible or reliable?

Feasible yes reliable not so much.

These are some straight forward steps on how to damp proof a foundation wall.

gardner.JPG

Hope this helps and i wish you all of the good luck with the closing.

George

Posted 2012-01-30T19:59:05+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+