Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Add Charm with Fresh Cut Garden Blooms and Vintage Glass Bottles

Taking the tiniest of vintage bottles and filling them with fresh greens and blooms from the garden makes a huge impact!

I rescued a box of vintage glass bottles from the garden shed of a dear friend, his dad had passed away and he was breaking down the family house, garage and garden shed. The bottles were cover in dust, dirt and some decaying in-descript stuff; spiders and mice had made homes among these covered gems for decades. I am very brave with my garden gloves, so I dug in and uncover a treasure trove colored glass bottles.

I love mixing old and new, just adding a fresh take to something with a history can bring it back to the present. These bottles have a new purpose: to hold the a few slender stems of garden greens, and blossoms, the ultimate purpose of any glass vessel, I feel is to hold flowers!

Bring a few summer posies inside; put the flowers into a jelly jar, an empty glass soda bottle, or tiny glass medicine bottles. Stop at the next yard sale you go by and shop for a few old bottles, re-purpose them into vintage vases, anything that holds flowers will look beautiful!

Enjoy every bloomin second of the summer,      Maureen 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-23T15:38:22+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Maureen – this is lovely!

Last year I had an occasion to decorate a table in shabby chic style.  We purchased every vintage (and vintage looking) glass vase from numerous resale shops.  Vases of varying heights were placed on an inexpensive tray with a paper doily.  We placed a large single bloom or a large, solid (firm) leaf in each vase.  The look was exquisite!

This year, we are thinking of going to the next level and finding wide-mouth vases and containers to create mirrored or mercury glass finishes:

I think the mercury glass look would look especially chic for the shabby chic event.  I will keep you posted on the progress!

Posted 2015-07-31T15:38:33+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thank you Eileen,

I too love mercury glass; I feel that it is timeless and elegant.

The step by step mercury glass project process can transform any old glass vessel, big or small, into a one of a kind beautiful vase.

Nothing says “shabby chic” like tin, you can dress it up and it looks casually fancy!

Check out the paint aisle at your Home Depot for some fabulous alternatives for simple floral arrangements; tin paint pails make a great low centerpiece container. 

Quart size paint cans make great flower containers, and the paint can lids can be used as a flame-less candle base, for a total “shabby chic” tin tablescape.

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of you centerpiece displays,

enjoy and have fun!       Maureen

Posted 2015-08-04T15:18:03+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
I loved the idea with mercury glass. It looks stylish and beautiful.
Posted 2015-08-05T06:17:04+0000  by RGRoberts

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+