Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Add electricity to bedroom

Okay, I'm not sure if you will be able to help me, but i'll ask anyways. 
My brother and I are trying to work on a trailer that has an addition. The addition is exact length of the trailer. 
I am not sure of the exacti dimensions of the place, I believe the length of the home is 81ft if that sounds right. 
The circuit breaker is in the bedroom, which is in the front of the trailer in the master bedroom. 
I want to put electricity in a bedroom, which will be at the opposite end, in the addition. So it is about 80 ft away, not sure if that matters. 

But to the important part, looking at the circuit breaker, there is like 10, 12, 14 or so circuits on there. There are not any available openings. 
I don't have a picture or the model number right now. 
Basically..., how would I be able to add on to the circuit breaker and/or get electricity into that bedroom. I would like to have 3 or 4 outlets and a light in there. 

What would the costs be? 
And how much would an electrician usually charge to do all of this if possible?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-13T23:14:38+0000  by ericjstill126 ericjstill126

Good afternoon ericjstill126,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

In terms of pricing, that is something that I can't go over here, due to electricians varying in their pricing.

Same thing as going to more than one mechanic; you will always get more than one price. Your best bet is to contact a local electrican in your area for a price quote. Get more than one; you want to have the ability to have as many choices if you don't feel comfortable with doing this yourself.

If you want to add a breaker to the bedroom, it is possible and can be done yourself. As long as you always work with non-energized power, you can add an extra breaker to feed your new receptacles.

If you can upload an image of your circuit breaker panel, then I can tell you what brand you have. There are tandem or piggy-back breakers that can can give you 2 spaces where 1 space was. These can work for your situation, but you also don't want to overload your panel either.

Other than the breaker, you'll need to run cable to feed the receptacles to the bedroom. Usually 12 gauge or 14 gauge Romex wire is needed for this. We carry them in various lengths at our store, and 100 feet would be fine for you.

If its just 3 or 4 receptacles and a light, then one 15 amp or 20 amp circuit will work just fine for you. The toughest part about wiring is pulling the wires safely through your walls/ceiling. You will need to get accessibility to feed the wires safely, so you may need to remove parts of your ceiling and walls.

You will also need to cut into your walls and ceilings regardless to install junction boxes for your light switches, receptacles, and fixtures. All of these materials are at your local Home Depot, and you can even browse material costs here online for exact local prices.

Since you will need to take into the factors I discussed above, this is another reason I can't quote you a price on electrical work without first seeing what we are up against.

You can upload images here and we can go further. Lastly, always consult a licensed electrician to find out more information regarding any of these steps. At the least, an electrician can find out if you can safely add a breaker to your panel without overloading it.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-17T17:42:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

IMG_20130725_152843.jpgIMG_20130725_153025.jpg

First pic is of the circuit breaker. 
Not Sure if the second pic helps at all since it is really blurry.

Posted 2013-07-30T10:55:46+0000  by ericjstill126

Thanks for uploading the pictures of your Westinghouse 100 Amp panel; it gives us a better idea of what you are working with.

It looks like your panel is full of tandem breakers already, but that's not to say you could possibly still run extra power to your bedroom that doesn't have electricity. However, at this point this would be something that a qualified electrician would be able to do.

Since I don't know where the other breakers are leading to, a professional would be able to check and see where they could tap off and add lights and receptacles from an existing breaker already in the panel.

You can do this yourself as long as you are certain that the existing breaker you have won't overload once the new lights and receptacles are added.

If it is available in your area, Home Depot does have electrical services that can come out and assess the situation for you. At the minimum, they can give you a FREE in-home consultation if they are in your area.

Click below for more information.

I would speak to them or a licensed electrician at the minimum, since you have a full panel and you need to see if adding devices to the bedroom can be done.

Thanks again for uploading the images, this helps tremendously.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-31T10:53:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks.
There is actually a room right next to the one i want electricity in. It's in the trailer part. It has 3-4 outlets and a light.
The room isn't even used.
And the room i want to add outlets and a light in is going to be a bedroom; so there wont be much electricity being used.
So would i be able to connect to that room right next to it? And have 3-4 outlets and a light?
Posted 2013-08-01T12:28:19+0000  by ericjstill126

I realize this is the room where you want new power to go into, but you will need to discern where an existing circuit is now in adjoining rooms, and if you can safely add more lights and receptacles to it.

A typical 15 amp circuit should not over no more than 1800 watts. As long as whatever you tie the new lights and receptacles into doesn't exceed that, then you'll be fine.

This is the part of it where unless you know what the adjacent rooms and circuits have, then I can't assist you further unfortunately without knowing that.

Keep me updated on your progress, and always play it safe whenever you are working with your panel.

Joseph

Posted 2013-08-07T19:44:02+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+