Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Adding Height to a Pallet Headboard

Hi!  I have a really hefty pallet I am wanting to use as is for a headboard, but it is not quite tall enough so I need to add some height to it.  I don't have access to saws to cut lumber as I live in an apartment and have to use my living room as work space on this. The pallet is much too heavy to take to anywhere to make the adjustments. Any ideas on something I can do that is simple and super easy? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-05T19:36:33+0000  by TMar TMar

Plenty of saws that will cut lumber in an apartment without disturbing your neighbors.

The best part is that they are not only good for the environment but also great for your cardiovascular system. <lol>

Posted 2017-10-05T23:43:30+0000  by Adam444

Hello TMar,

**This is written with the assumption that your pallet is made with 2 x 4 rails.**

First figure out how much taller you want the headboard to be and add 4 inches to that number. Example- If you need it to be 6” taller you would need them to be 10” long. You will also need 2 pieces 4” long to go in between the extension legs. (Modify this piece if you do not have enough room.)

Then go to your local Home Depot store and have them cut 4 – 2 x 4 to the length that you need and the 2 – 4” pieces. You will also need a box of 3” screws.  

Lay one of the extension pieces down and place one of the 4” pieces ½” from the end and screw together with two screws. Then line up the other extension piece with the bottom and screw it into place with two screws.

On the side of the extension, make a mark where the bottom of the pallet should be. Then slide it over the outer rail on the pallet until it’s lined up with your mark. Screw into place.

Repeat the last two steps for the other side.

Here is a diagram of the assembly that I just described.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.  

Posted 2017-10-06T20:30:28+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

How-to Make Pallet Headboard

Posted 2017-10-08T19:31:08+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+