Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Adding a deck to an existing deck

I have a two story house with a deck on the back.  The deck is elevated to the second story.  I am wanting to deck under the second story decking.  Can I just use the stationary supports as posts to add my joists to, or do i need to add more?  Also, is there a simple way to get a rough estimate of how much lumber I will need?  I just want to know how many 2x4's or 2x6's I will need for the deck surface. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-09T13:36:16+0000  by tp37385 tp37385

Hello tp37385,

Welcome to the Community.

The first thing that I would suggest is to check with your local building official to confirm that it’s not against code to add an additional level onto the existing deck post. Next I would have a thorough inspection done on the existing deck to make sure that the posts and the ledger are still in good condition and have been installed correctly to make sure that they will withstand the additional weight. Once you get the clearance to go ahead with the project here are a few links to help you figure out what materials you’ll need and the instructions on how to complete it.

Here is a link to estimate your materials. The how to section on homedepot.com has a lot of great project guilds for decks. It has everything from layout to maintaining your deck. Here is a link to the main page for decks. I think you will find a lot of great information in these guilds and it should point you in the right direction.

I found many different pictures of multi level decks on the internet and many of them were utilizing the same posts for both levels. It looked like all of them had 6” x 6” or larger posts. So again make sure that you check the local building codes to make sure what you have will work. I hope this helps you out with your deck project.  

Let us know if you have any other questions. I would be glad to help.  

Posted 2011-03-09T22:07:36+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+