Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Aerating your lawn

Aerating your lawn

There comes a time in the life of your lawn that you may find it necessary to aerate.  I am not talking about just poking a few holes in a few selected areas, but rather aerating the whole lawn.  Take my back yard for an example, which is about 5000sqft of yard.  I could do it with my trusty old Tilling Fork, but I really do not want to spend the next two days poking holes all over my back yard.  As a result, I recommend using an aerating machine.  This is a real handful to operate and promises to give your arms and legs a good workout! 

Why do we aerate a lawn?  When your ground is compacted, the water will flow sideways rather than soak into the ground.  The objective when watering the lawn is to have the moisture and nutrients flow down to the root system.  When using an aerating machine, there are several rows of metal tubes that will poke holes into the ground by means of a motor driven machine.  When lots of plugs are pulled out of your lawn, the end process will allow air, water and fertilizer to percolate into the ground. 

Aerating Machine rear view2c- 0 00 00-01.jpg 

A compacted lawn will not allow this to occur.  An aerating machine will actually pull small plugs of soil out of the lawn leaving behind small perforated like holes in your lawn.  When you water, more moisture will flow deeper into the lawn and result in better hydration.  The holes will swell closed after watering a few times.  When fertilizer is later added, the nutrients will have a better path to follow as they decompose and percolate into the ground.  The plugs left on the ground will be picked up by your lawnmower next time you mow or you can use a fan rake to clean them up if you choose.

A similar result will occur when you are using a Tilling Fork, except that there will not be any plugs pulled out of the ground.  The Tilling Fork will just poke holes into the ground which will work well for smaller areas or if you are aerating around your fruit tree.  For larger areas, it is much more time effective to use the aerating machine.  

Aerating your lawn or tree w a tilling fork.jpg

The nice thing about aerating your yard is that it can be done at anytime, depending on where you  live of course.  Out here on the West Coast, we can even aerate in mid January, provided you do not live up in the mountains!  Other areas may have to wait until the spring thaw to get this kind of jump start on your lawn care.  

Another beneficial task your lawn will love you for, is using a compost spreader.  This is a large heavy screened roller that can be filled with a good quality mulch or even a finer seeding soil.  Your soil choices will vary depending on where you live.  Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department for recommendations.  

Compost Spreader.jpg

Lots of tender loving care and patience will provide you with a beautiful lawn and it can even be the envy of the neighborhood!

This has been another of,

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-15T20:54:22+0000  by Rick_HD_OC Rick_HD_OC

As always,

Great advice, Rick!!

Aeration is the BEST single thing that you can do for your lawn.

For those of us who are aerating in the spring, be sure to re apply Pre-Emergent after you aerate.

Aeration will destroy the pre emergent protective barrier, so plan to re apply it after you aerate.

Thanks again, Rick!

-Travis
Posted 2014-04-11T19:37:06+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+