Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Air compressor for my needs

My needs are:

Using a nail gun/stapler occasionally

Using air to clean areas to prep for painting

As compact and lightweight as possible

**maybe** applying texture to a wall, if that doesn't raise the cost and size too much

And preferably under $200

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-14T19:05:58+0000  by behousepainters behousepainters

Hello Behousepainters,

Welcome to the community.

I would suggest going with a 6-gal portable electric compressor.

6 gal compressor.jpg

I’ve had mine for well over 10 years and it has never failed me. I take it to all of my side jobs along with using it in my home shop for nail guns, pneumatic ratchets, and blowing off my work bench and projects after sanding. Not to mention all of the things that I’ve had to blow up for my daughter like pools, bike tires and the list goes on.

Most hand tools take less than 90-100psi so just about any smaller compressors will do what you’re looking for. Even a typical hopper gun should be fine. Depending on the gun some take as low as 25psi and others take up to 90psi so just look at the specs before you purchase one to make sure it’s within the specs of the compressor that you get.  

The only thing I would say is if you’re going to be using it continuously for a fairly long period of time you may need a larger tank size. If you don’t the compressor will stay running and will not recover fast enough. You may lose pressure if it cannot recover. Plus it will wear out the motor a lot faster also.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-08-28T20:17:07+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I bought BOSTITCH stanley, BTFP12237. COMES WITH 3 NAIL GUNS.LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Posted 2013-09-15T20:40:31+0000  by brianleffler

That looks like a great combo package. I love combo deals.

If you were to purchase all of the tools separately it would cost you at least double.

My first compressor came in a combo also. The one I purchased was from Porter Cable and came with 2 nailers. I’ve had it for over 10 years and still use it all the time.

Thank you for sharing with us which compressor you went with.

Give us a follow up post with some of the projects that you’ve used it on. Post some pictures so we can all admire your great work.

Thanks again for sharing with the how-to community.

Posted 2013-09-18T20:34:05+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+