Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Alcove Tub to Freestanding Tub

I only have one full bath in the house so I can't do a walk-in shower like I would love to do.  (Suggested for resale NOT to get rid of the only tub.)  If I "have to" have a tub, I'd like to replace it with a soaker tub.  Currently the bathtub/shower combo is an alcove tub with all plumbing connections on the right side.  My main question is: how difficult and expensive would it be to keep the shower hookups but replace the tub with a freestanding tub with a center drain?  
I realize keeping the drain on the right would be ideal but I have been offered a brand new tub that has the center drain and I am wondering if I can use it. (Or should I say is it worth the money to use it?)

I plan to renovate the bathroom down to the studs - tearing out the tile in the current shower, putting down new flooring, new toilet, and new vanity.  My other concern is with the shower, do I 'box in' the freestanding tub or could I add a floor drain for any water that splashes out of the tub while showering?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-10-09T14:50:15+0000  by Diyrookie Diyrookie

Hello Diyrookie and welcome to the Community.

To change a right hand drain to a center drain bath tub will require you to move the drain pipe for the tub.  You may run into some structural complication because you may need to run your drain pipe through several floor joist.  Also you may not have the necessary clearance to create the right pitch to drain properly.  

You will probably need to invest in a faucet designed for a free standing tub.  This type of faucet may not have a shower option.

To keep the water in the tub you may use a  lightweight but heavy duty shower rod that is designed for clawfoot tubs and standalone tubs, as seen below.


I would consider talking to a contractor to find if this is a viable option for your situation.

Thanks for your inquiry.


Posted 2018-10-09T17:05:44+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question