Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

All wall plugs in Master BdRm went out. HELP

First the bathroom light went out, then the wall switch, then later all the wall plugs in the bedroom and wall switches there that control porch light, ceiling fan and outside plug also went out. Have checked breakers, which all seem fine. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I could try before calling out the (expensive) electrician?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-24T14:09:02+0000  by lindabean lindabean

Check to see if you have any ground fault interupers (GFI) that are tripped. They look like an outlet with a reset on them.

Posted 2011-06-24T18:51:40+0000  by shadoryder

Hey lindabean,

Thanks for posting a great question on the community, welcome!

I am with shadoryder in starting first with any GFCI's that you have in your house, as those little guys are breakers into themselves. Lots of older houses (including my parents) have their room wiring  connected to lights as well as the wall receptacles in the room. Many people aren't aware that when GFCIs (Ground-Fault Circuit Interceptors) trip, that any other device on the line after that will not work as well, including things like bathroom lights, receptacles, anything wired to it. Test them out first, and move then onto to other areas such as.....

• inspecting any wiring connections throughout the areas that started the failure, any electrical system is only going to be as strong as it's weakest point. Do this with caution, as with dealing with electricity, always be safe. 
  • use a voltage tester or meter to see if any devices or wiring are working properly, do this only after disconnecting the power to them.
  • check and make sure the breakers and connections in the main panel box are secure and show no signs of frays, burns, or marks that would give a bad or loose connection.

Hopefully, at the end of the day, you may just have to replace the GFCI outlet out and that should solve your situation. 

Let us know if we can be of further assistance to you,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-06-25T12:47:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+