Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

Allure Trafficmaster Flooring

I have installed this in my kitchen and is great so far.  I would like to put this in my entry also.  I am wondering if the glue will adhere because this room doesn't have any heat and does get down to just above freezing temperature and in the summer gets very hot.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-07T14:42:42+0000  by fishinglinder fishinglinder

You're welcome mystelite.

Laying down a scrap piece of flooring for you flush cut is the easiest way to get just the right height.

As for snipping the tile, you could use an inexpensive contour gauge such as this to mark the flooring where it will not be laid under a flush cut:

ContourGauge.jpg

These are available at any Home Depot store.

I am surprised that the Dremel Multi-Max did not work out for you.

The blades should handle the depth of any molding you would be dealing with.  Two blades can be used for this:

StdFlushBlade.jpgSemiCircleBlade.jpg

I am not sure why you have to cut away any plaster, but there is also a Dremel diamond grout removal blade that would do this.  It is shaped like the semi-circular blade shown above and is gold in color with a grit blade edge:

GroutBlade.jpg

In any event, the pull saw you bought, as well as a standard manual flush cut saw will work fine.  So will the hammer and chisel.  They just take longer to use.

Please post some pictures when you're done. I'd love to see your new floor.

Newf

Posted 2011-02-18T18:03:52+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
I installed Allure plank flooring in my entire basement about 6 months ago. It is now coming up at the seams in one section about 4 planks wide the width of the entire room. The rest of the 1300 square foot basement is doing just fine, but this one section is coming up at every seam. Is there any way to reactivate the glue and stick them back down? Should I use super glue or some other kind of glue? Do I need to replace these planks? How does one go about replacing planks if that is the best option? I let the product acclimate to the basement for a couple weeks. The basement floor had been sealed with paint. I left space around the entire floor. I can't figure out why this is happening.
Posted 2011-12-08T02:42:11+0000  by Brock

Hey there Brock,

Welcome to the community!~ Thanks for joining us and sharing your question.

Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the Allure flooring. Let's see if we can't troubleshoot this for you and have the floor back to looking new!

First off, you can indeed re-activate the glue on the Allure floor. The glue can actually be re-activated up to 3 times, and can be done with either a heat gun or a common hair dryer. Hold it about 6-8" away from the floor and use the heat to bring the "stick" back to the glue. You should only need to do this for about 20 seconds or so.

In most instances, this will fix problems with the glue seal coming up. Should you wish to use "extra" adhesive, then I wouldn't really recommend super glue to you. While it certainly "could" work, you would more than likely void the warranty on the product by doing so...and we don't want that happening. =O

I cases of "extra glue" being needed, I would contact the manufacturer, Halstead International. I've had homeowners contact the company and they let me know that the company shipped them out a glue that still fit within the warranty and fixed their floors up perfect. Their information can be found within their Installation manual, should you wish to do so.

As far as "why" they are buckling...it could be a number of reasons...

What area of the country are you in? Basements can get especially cold at this time of year, especially in areas like Chicago where I'm at. The allure floor is a pretty easy going floor, but it can get cold just like you and I. And just like the birds that fly south for the winter when it gets too cold, the Allure can try and fly south if it gets too cold also.

That, or if it is exposed to direct sunlight for a prolonged period, that can be a factor in the installation failing. If it gets to be over 95, then the floor starts having a problem as well.

The allure needs to be kept in a temperature controlled room to keep it happy. Being as that's usually the culprit for buckling with this type of floor, that will be my first guess. If not, then have you ever had problems with other floors in this basement in the past?

Let me know how this helps you out and if we need to do more digging into the source of the problem!~

Posted 2011-12-08T16:00:06+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Thanks Mr. Jay for the info. I will try to reactivate the glue with a heat gun. I live in Kentucky so it is not really cold yet. This is the first floor we have put down in the basement as we are just finishing it. This area is near a door, but not in any direct sunlight. The basement always keeps a pretty constant temperature since it is underground and it is climate controlled with forced air heat and A/C.
Posted 2011-12-09T13:11:40+0000  by Brock

Not a problem Brock. = )

Doesn't sound like it's the temperature then. The glue should be okay as long as it doesn't have prolonged exposure to temperatures below 15°F or above 95°F.

Reactivating the glue should see an immediate improvement in the floor and hopefully get you back to enjoying your floor!~

Let us know if you have any other questions with it = )

Posted 2011-12-09T14:26:39+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

A local contractor is building a new 24 x 30 ft studio for me and he suggested Trafficmaster Allure and included this flooring material in the bid. The building will have electric heat but does not have water lines so I did not plan to leave the heat on continuously during the winter. In summer the reverse is true: there's direct low angle sun in August, and even with sun shades on the exterior and interior, 80-85F is usual every day in July and August. Often hotter than 90F.

So now I'm really wondering if this flooring is the best choice for this space or if I need to plan on paying $$ to keep the building above 30F in winter and below 90F in summer.

Advice, please!

Alison

Rice, WA

Posted 2013-05-31T03:42:20+0000  by oldlacemaker

Hey again Alison,

Since you asked this question twice, I already answered it and will give you the link to the other post.

Click here to view it.

And again, please let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Joseph

Posted 2013-06-01T17:59:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+