Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Allure resilient alignment problem

Hello I have started my flooring and have ran ito this problem when joining my living room and hallway. It doesn't match up by 1.5 inch does anyone have an idea to get it back on track. I can't cut it short due to the adhesive on both sides. Please help. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-20T00:15:00+0000  by speaks63 speaks63

That's quite a sticky wicket you've got there. <lol>  With any kind of flooring that "goes together," like this kind of vinyl, laminate, engineered, or hardwood flooring it's important to lay it in one direction only.  Trying to meet in the middle is darn near impossible, even if you very carefully measure.

The picture doesn't show enough of the space to really see what's going on, but I would be thinking transition strip.  Remove some of the flooring back to a point (like a door way) where a transition strip makes sense.

Another thought would be to cut the adhesive strips off of both pieces, trim them so they butt together then then use some kind of strong, thin tape to hold the two together.  Carpet tape might work but it has adhesive on both sides and you really don't want to be gluing down floating floors.  Maybe if you left the paper covering on the "down" side...  Beyond that I don't know what other kind of tape you could use.  3M would be a good place to start, they make more kinds of tape than most of us can imagine.

You could cut off the adhesive strip of one piece and then very carefully thin the edge so overlaps the other piece.  I've never tried to plane vinyl tile but I imagine it could be done.  You'd need some kind of rabbeting or shoulder plane, which might be a little expensive for one project.  Of course, the market for used Lie-Nielsen planes is pretty strong so you could probably sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Posted 2015-08-20T01:11:36+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+