Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Allure seam filler?

Hello again experts!

I finally have a new kitchen floor! We went with the Allure planks in Ironwood since it could do over hardwood. It's amazing and we love it. However, because of our old house and nothing being square, there are a couple areas where seams show or I need to fill in along the edge of the wall that is too small for a strip to be cut, like millimeters. I don't mean the expansion gap at the edge I mean like around a door way where there is no quarter round to hide the wee gap types of areas. We did not undercut the doors because the jams and trim were put up on top of the old 1940s linoleum and we didn't want to be sawing into that and putting asbestos dust in the air. 

So I called Halstead. They told me that HD sells a product for this. Custom Building Products Polyblend Seam Filler.  Excellent news! The problem is, I cannot find this product anywhere online and the whole flooring department of my local HD had never heard of or seen such a thing.

Help?:smileysurprised:

Is there another product I can use that will not void my warranty and allow the floor to float properly? I am willing to use a paintable, flexible caulk and have some paint colormatched to the flooring and then touch up the caulk with a tiny brush. It's around the edges and as long as it's dark like the floor, I know it will fool the eye. It's just that in laying the floor in an old house, we made sure the centers were perfect so that any shenanigans happened on the edges.

Thanks for any insight!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-13T16:40:59+0000  by PinkPurls PinkPurls

Welcome back PinkPurls,

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your flooring!~

Your post left me a bit befuddled, because I too have never heard of a Seam Filler from Custom Building Products. So I called Halstead back to see if I could get to the bottom of it.

The service rep. Glenn offered two solutions for you, both of which I know we do carry.

His first suggestion was Simple Grout, a product carried in our Flooring department that is also made by Custom Building Products. This is normally used as the bonding agent between tiles, but can be used to fill in the troublesome areas that you're plagued by. But aware though that you'll want to be careful not to let any dry on the Allure or else it's a paint to get off!

Secondly, he brought up the Seam Filler again. I went to bat for my sanity and told him I'd never heard of such an animal, and that to my best knowledge, Custom's closest product was Polyblend Caulk. This apparently is what they were calling "seam filler" and noted that this is acceptable for the Allure flooring. However, he did note that not all caulking is accepted, and that it must be a Polyblend style caulk. This is also a product that I know you can easily find on our shelves....right next to the Simple Grout in fact!

The Polyblend Caulk is available in a variety of colors, so you should be able to find one close! I would recommend sticking with either of these two products, as anything else would be venturing out past whats covered under warranty.

Hope this helps solve the riddle!~ Let us know if you have any other questions. = )

Posted 2012-07-13T20:32:24+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Yaaaaaay! I thought it had to be the caulk, but I thought it was worth a shot asking before buying it and voiding my warranty. SWEEEEET. Now I know what I will be doing this weekend!

It's really not even troubles with the flooring, it went down great and it cuts great and does everything it says it will do. It's just an old house where nothing lines up as tidy as you want it to. I will use delicate painter's tape to make sure I don't get any goop on the flooring.

We loved using the Allure and plan to use it upstairs once we get the nerve to rip out that sweeeeeet 1950s avocado green sculpted carpet in our upstairs den!

Thanks again!

Posted 2012-07-13T21:02:23+0000  by PinkPurls

Not a problem, glad I could help contribute to a fun weekend plan!~ = )

Unfortunately not all houses can be as easy to work with like you mentioned, but you certainly are making the best of it! I'm sure this Allure will be a HUUUUUGE improvement over that avocado carpeting when you decide to bring it upstairs!

When you finish with the job, we'd love to see pictures of the completed job!~ Share them with the rest of the community on here and let everyone marvel at your handiwork = )

Best of luck with it and have an awesome weekend!~

Posted 2012-07-13T21:07:25+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Hi Mr. Jay, We bought Allure Sedona and it was in the house for 2 weeks so it could adjust to the house temperature. We had a contractor come to give us a estimate on putting down the floor. We decided to go with DIY with the help of my brother who has done this type of work. He put down two rows and I asked him why are there spaces where it should lock tightly together. We had the contractor come back and he said if he layed the floor he couldn't guarantee the seams being tight. I returned to Home DeAPot and spoke with a gentleman on how I could fix this problem. He did suggest the cauk. I spent a good 26 hours caulking the seams. Some of the seams were larger than others. I can't beleive Halstead would make such a poor product and price it so high. I will be writing them a letter and let them know the problems we had. I'd get that flooring off the shelves asap. Thanks Mary
Posted 2012-12-30T05:37:14+0000  by MaryRuppert

I prefer not having quarter round along the edges of the Allure I am installing. Would the Polyblend Caulk work to mask the 1/8" gap along the walls?

Is the 1/8" absolutely needed? Can I cut closer to the wall?

Posted 2013-01-04T12:40:02+0000  by johncarmean

Hey there johncarmean,

Thanks for joining the community!~

The 1/8" gap is definitely needed for this job, as well as with most wood or laminate installations, as it provides your expansion gap. Anything smaller becomes so negligible, that it won't provide you with any type of expansion protection at all. 1/8" is definitely something you will want to have along the walls, especially if you ever run into any times when your floor will expand or contract. 

That said, the quarter-round is usually your best friend in this type of instance since it well masks the gap. I cannot say that I have ever had anyone wishing to do what you're trying to do before, so I can't speak from experience on this. Given that it is a caulking material, I cannot see why it wouldn't work for you, but again I can't speak from experience with having tried that scenario before since I always use quarter-round for jobs I work on with this product.

Posted 2013-01-04T15:27:50+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Jay, can you tell me which color of the polyblend caulk would go best with allure cordoba?

Posted 2013-04-24T05:11:19+0000  by mam27

Hello mam27,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Jay isn't in today, but I thought I would assist you with your question.

Matching a polyblend caulk to your Allure Cordoba flooring will depend on you....that is if you want it to match up with the darker shades or the lighter grout areas.

TrafficMaster Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Cordoba Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft./case)

As for the grout colors, it depends on if you want them to match the grout colors closely or not. Bone and Quartz both look like colors that can be similar. But to be sure, come down to your nearest Home Depot and see which ones match up with your Allure floor the closest.

Also, refer to the grouting color chart below to view other grout colors I didn't mention here.

groutchart.JPG

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-27T21:23:37+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I have a question. I have the Cherry floors in my kitchen and they are starting to separate. what do I do? I don't want to rip up the floors as I love them, but I now have gaps between the planks. would the filler work in this instance?

Posted 2013-05-25T02:15:49+0000  by esaves
www.vinylplankgapfiller.com 
Posted 2015-04-01T03:49:17+0000  by gapfiller
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+