Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Allure vinyl plank flooring

Good morning,

First of all, we're very happy with this flooring. We have a cat who has slighty incontinence issues, and this was an effective, aesethically pleasing option for our living room.

We would like to know what is the best solution/product for cleaning this floor. We have been cleaning small portions, but would like to scrub the entire room, so we are wondering what is the best solution that won't harm the glue.

Thanks. My email is jefftcarroll@gmail.com for contact.

Jeff Carroll

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-01T13:53:53+0000  by jefftcarroll jefftcarroll

Hello Jeff and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here and especially pleased to hear that you are happy with your flooring.  I have some ideas on keeping your floor clean and beautiful.

A natural cleaning solution is one cup of white vinegar to one gallon of warm water.  Sponge mop the floor and let it air dry.  This will remove the most residue and dirt and it is also good for a weekly cleaning.   If you have used other cleaners on your floor, start with this vinegar and water mixture for the initial scrub. 

allure cleaner.jpg   allure soft cleaner.jpg

Consider a deeper cleaning with the Allure Single Step - a cleaner/polisher product.  It also adds a protective coating to make the floor last longer.  The soft satin finish (shown on the right) gives a matte look which will make any marks, scratches, and shoe scruffs less noticeable. Both are available at your local store.

Be careful to ONLY USE products specifically designed or approved for vinyl floors (read the fine print on the bottle). 

Dust mop or vacuum (hard surface vacuum attachment) your floor at least twice a week. Do not use a household dust cleaner since this may cause the floor to become slick or damage the finish. Simply sweep the floor as often as needed.

A few other pet notes (I am a pet parent too!):

• Clean up any pet stains as soon as possible since urine can be harmful to the floor. 
  • If you use a protective mat on the floor (food, water, or litter containers), select one that has a NON-RUBBER backing to avoid yellowing and damage. 
  • If your cat goes outside, be sure to wipes their paws to keep sand and grit off of the floor (gritty sand is the worst enemy to your floor).
  • Keep the cat’s nails clipped to avoid scratching the floor.

Best wishes on your investment and please keep us posted on the floor and your cat!

dw69.png

Posted 2011-07-01T15:03:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thank you very much. That's the exact information I needed.

Posted 2011-07-03T14:48:53+0000  by jefftcarroll

Thank you Jeff for letting us know that this is the information you needed.  Thanks also for joining The Community and we look forward to helping you with future projects.  Best wishes for a long and beautiful life for you, the cat, and your floor!

Posted 2011-07-05T15:30:26+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

My husband and I recently put Allure vinyl planking through most of our house. We are very happy withy the way it looks and I also was wondering about cleaning. We have dogs, so I will be cleaning up hair. This is much easier than carpeting!!  Can I use the Swiffer products? what about the new Shark steam cleaners? please reply, I am new at this.

Posted 2011-12-14T17:42:58+0000  by bjvan

Hello bjvan and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here. 

It is great to hear that your recent project was a success and that you are happy with your results.  I spoke to an Allure Customer Care Team member who is also a dog owner.  She said that the water vinegar mixture (detailed in the post above) is best.  They also use Clorox Green Works.  The “wet” Swiffer is good for occasional spot cleaning but tends to leave a dull residue if frequently used.  The “dry” Swiffer is a great product to use and works well anytime. 

Clorox Green Works.jpg     Dry Swiffer.jpg

Steam cleaners are not recommended since the steam can penetrate the seams and cause them to pull apart. 

I wish you good success on the new floor and thank you for joining the discussions.

Posted 2011-12-16T14:55:56+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Is it possible to use steamers (such as the shark) to clean the floor? We just installed it, and want to start the proper regimin right away.

Posted 2012-12-06T19:21:08+0000  by aew516

Hello aew516 and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here. 

Congratulations on the new Allure floor.  Maintenance is easy – the tips mentioned in the above replies are best practices for a great start on your flooring regimen. 

Here are some “do not’s” which may harm your floor:

* You should not use a steamer on your new Allure floor.  The steam may cause damage to the floor surface and the adhesive; it may also void the warranty.

* Food spills should be cleaned up as rapidly as possible with a quality liquid vinyl cleaner.  Make sure the cleaner you choose is NON-ABRASIVE.  It should specifically state on the label that the cleaner is suitable for use on vinyl floors.

* The manufacturer does not recommend powdered cleaners, oil soaps, dishwashing detergents, or other dusting products. Use a non-rinsing, biodegradable cleaner that leaves no residue or haze and requires no rinsing after application.  The vinegar-water solution is preferred; be sure to use a damp cloth (wring out as much liquid as possible) when cleaning for best results.

* Finally, do not wax your Allure floor.  The surface is very dense and nonporous; this prevents wax from penetrating and thus will build up a bed for yellowing and dirt collection. You should use Allure Single Step on heavy wear when you have experienced some loss of the original appearance over time.

Best wishes for a long and beautiful life for your new Allure floor!

DW Logo Decorator.png

Posted 2012-12-07T14:12:36+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
Jeff,

I also have a cat and she has some asthma issues and so I've had to take her to a wholistic vet here in Las Vegas. The vet specifically told me White Vinegar was toxic to cats. She said Apple Cider Vinegar is ok. Just thought you should know... I use mostly natural stuff around house but I will be careful of White Vinegar from now on.
Posted 2013-01-25T08:20:11+0000  by divineprana

Hello divineprana and thank you for the information.  I spoke to the manufacturer who said that you could also use a cleaner specific for use on vinyl floors.   Thanks again for the great information and best wishes to you and the cat.

Designing Woman  

(mother of a bird)

Posted 2013-01-25T14:17:21+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello,

We just finished installing this floor in our kitchen and we were really pleased with its appearance and ease of installation. However, when we moved our refrigerator back into place it left scuff marks on the brand new floor! Any suggestions to get these out?

Posted 2013-04-23T14:36:37+0000  by cwil15
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+