Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Allure vinyl plank flooring

We want to install this flooring in a room we converted from what used to be our garage.  The floor is now still concrete. Has anyone done this to a concrete garage floor? Did you have to use the water barrier? What I have read about this flooring is you don't use anything else but just lay the floor. Is that correct?

We are debating over this or laminate with the extra padding and moisture barrier although we do not have a water problem they say its necessary when applying to concrete. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-22T22:02:32+0000  by vickieljr vickieljr

I installed this flooring about a year and a half ago on a basement concrete slab. I followed the directions and it went in great! After several months I noticed the glue wasn't holding all that well in several spots where the planks join. They have puckered up in several places. Is there a glue you recommed to use for getting these to stay down?

Thanks!

Posted 2013-04-03T17:55:54+0000  by dherb2276

Hey dherb2276,

Welcome to the community!

Why yes there is an adhesive you can use to refresh the GripStrip. Shown below, you can use this to repair and fix the affected Allure strips.

TrafficMaster 75 ft. 2-Sided Tape for Allure Flooring

Make sure the old GripStrip is clean and free of debris and moisture. After applying the tape, apply weights like a heavy book over the area for a few hours to ensure the bond is strengthened.

And that's it! Please let us know if this has assisted you, and please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding your Allure floors.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-03T20:54:34+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello, 

I have a question about installation. Do I need to remove the baseboards in order to install Allure plank flooring, or can I just set up the spaces against the baseboards and then use quarter-round to cover that up (if needed)? I don't want the floor to move, but I'd like to salvage my baseboards if I can. (I am not confident I could remove the baseboards in one piece). 

There's a good amount of space under the baseboards and the drywall, which is why I ask. I'm concerned that without the drywall to "bump" against, the flooring would shift. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks!

Katie

Posted 2013-09-02T13:46:04+0000  by kjadams

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You don't have to remove your baseboards to install Allure plank, but you are right about placing smaller quarter round in front of the baseboards.

This is especially needed for older homes where removal of the baseboards just isn't really possible or would take a long time to do. You still keep the nice look of the baseboards and the quarter round will still do the job of locking the Allure in place.

Any large gaps under the baseboards now will need to be filled up before continuing your Allure install. This can achieved with material called backer rod that can fill up the gap. This will also help with cutting down on drafts coming into the rooms.

Just make sure you have no more than a 1/4" gap between the floor and the wall. The quarter round will be placed and fastened into the wall/baseboards, and not the floor itself. Once you do this, you'll have a floor that lasts for a long time.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-09-04T16:00:55+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+