Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials


Another term for 'lath'

The self-leveling compound I am going to used says it needs "metal or plastic lath" between it and plywood subflooring. No one at my local HD seems to have any idea what I'm talking about. I had one bewildered guy point me towards a 'stucco mesh' but freely admit he didn't know if that was the right thing.


So does anyone know if there is another term for these products that might be recognized?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-15T08:07:09+0000  by b105 b105

Hi b105,


Building terms will vary with age and geographic location. This language barrier is one of the most challenging (and fun) aspects of working at The home Depot.


"Lath" traditionally refers to the wooden structure under plastered surfaces, such as walls.



Your leveling compound is calling for a synthetic version of this material to accept and hold the compound, thus reinforcing and strengthening it.


The associate who recommended the stucco mesh was correct, but that is not the only choice you have. Click on this link to see other versions of what you may use.


Thanks for asking. We're here to help.




Best Answer

Posted 2013-10-15T15:17:20+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Great, that's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you very much!

Posted 2013-10-15T15:57:45+0000  by b105
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question