Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Anything I can snap onto the top of a chainlink fence to make it taller?

Hello, today I would like to know if there is such a thing that you could put on then top part of a chainlink fence to 
make it taller so my dog could not jump it. Is there such a thing? The fence is about 4 feet tall and my dog can easily clear the fence and get out.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-18T21:50:26+0000  by Zachriel Zachriel

Greetings Zachriel,

It must be a constant worry to think about your dog jumping the fence and escaping.

How much of an increase in height would be needed to keep your dog safe and sound?

I have checked the chain link section and there does not seem to be a product that would just snap onto your fence to increase the height without altering the existing chain link mesh.

I do have an idea; we sell beautiful garden fencing that link together that has a height of 32 inches in height, by 14 ft. in length. The garden fence could be inserted and woven into the chain-link fence between the top rail and the chain-link mesh. Using wire ties you can secure and stabilize the garden fence to the top rail and also to the chain link fence itself every six to eight inches.

I believe that the top dressing will increase your height by approximately 2 feet or more depending on how you situate and secure it.

The Home Depot also has an “At Home Service” for fence installation if you decide to investigate a new fencing system.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide to do, and if you have any other questions.     Maureen

Posted 2016-01-19T13:52:14+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hello Zachriel,

I just wanted to add the information that  Maureen_HD_BOS has already given you.

From personal experience, our family grew up having a lab mix dog that was in an enclosed area like yours. And just like your pup, he had a penchant of easily going over the fence. 

Once he got a taste of freedom, he quickly bent/damaged the fence (we had a farm style fence). From the experience, I can tell you that if you placed something on top of the fence, your dog can still bend and damage it...and may also get hurt in the process. 

We ended up keeping the existing fence, but then adding a new wooden fence that was 6 foot high in front of the existing 4 foot metal one, and that did the trick. Our dog was a digger, so we also placed mixed cement on the bottom of the panels so he wouldn't escaped. 

This is the best advice I can really offer you. A lot of breeds are inclined to really have a lot of open spaces, and as much as we hate sometimes placing them in an enclosed area, it is for their own good and safety. So, keep your existing fence if you wish, but build a taller fence around it, and secure the bottom so he can't dig his way out of it.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-23T19:05:46+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+