Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Apartment living and hanging curtains

I currently live in a rental home and am not permitted to install a curtain rod and drapes using the traditional nail. I don't think command strips will be sturdy enough, and the window itself has slatted blinds arranged such that a tension rod is not possible. Any suggestions?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-04T17:17:38+0000  by Warrenm Warrenm

You could also deliberately "Not" use 3M Command Hooks like they are suppose to be used.

Simply lay them flat and use them like "door wedges" between the aluminum "blind box" at the top of the window and the top of the window frame.

The 3M Command hooks are wedge shaped, thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom, so pushing them in "wedges" them in place and the stay put by friction. The "Hook" part then "curls" up and over whatever you place in them. I then push them a little further in to "lock" the curtain rood in place against the window.

I could use adhesive or hot glue, I guess.. but nothing short of an earthquake is going to move them.

For a 40 inch window, I only had to use two, slightly spaced closer to the center because the ends are rigidly fastened to the corners of the window frame. But the blind box is made of aluminum and flexes the closer to the center it gets.

These curtains conveniently had built-in fabric whoops that the curtain rod slipped through and laid nearly flat against the window. the tiny part of the 3M hook that stood out was easily masked by a fabric bunch and barely noticeable.

The curtain rod was also extensible.. so I pulled it out both ways to extend beyond the frame of the window.

These form mini-shelves.. so virtually any kind of curtain rood or valance could be supported, limited only by the strength of the blind box boxes hardware in the corners.. which tends to be pretty sturdy.

Posted 2014-07-20T10:50:35+0000  by jwillis

Welcome to our community Gabby92!

Thank you for your question! Technically speaking, you can use the window tint you mentioned on your patio door. However, it is only 2 feet wide, meaning you will have to put up multiple pieces on a single piece of glass, which, again, you can technically do. You will have to contend with the lines where the film ends and the next piece begins.

If you have anymore questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-07-17T18:56:51+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Could I use the Gila Ultra Shield Max Limo Window Tint on my sliding door glass windows in my apartment? 

Posted 2013-07-15T02:32:14+0000  by gabby92

I also like the free standing curtain rods. Here you have to construct the structure to hang these curtains but it also means that they can be easily transportable to other places.

Posted 2013-03-12T15:03:27+0000  by belmanliving
Um, you build it. Simply galvanized pipe sold in the pipe and fittings aisle of your friendly neighborhood Home Depot. Usually, that aisle is in the center of the store.
Posted 2013-03-10T08:18:14+0000  by Paul

I like the free standing curtain rod idea. I want to make a curtain room divider for my living room, because I cannot drill holes on the wall or ceiling to hang traditional curtain rods. My living room is 12 ft wide. The free standing rod shown in the picture may not extend that wide. I am thinking about getting two free standing poles and place them on the two ends of my living room, then tie a wire on top of the two poles as curtain rail/rod. The problem is to find such free standing poles. Any ideas? Don't tell me to get two floor lamps. lol  By the way, anyone know where the free standing rod shown in the pic is sold?

Posted 2013-03-09T06:05:00+0000  by bosangel

You could also use any rope for hanging curtains & drapes.Even in this way you could easily inatalled your curtain & drapes in your new home. So just go fo it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the best curtain fabric onlineReady made eyelet curtains

Posted 2013-01-08T06:40:22+0000  by alenpark

http://www.qcidirect.com/instant-up-curtain-rod-holders.html

Posted 2012-10-22T01:38:35+0000  by thestewie

Another option is to build a free standing curtain rod, just make sure your curtains are long enough to hide the base.

If you're not in a situation where you have small children or pets, some galvanized pipe, nipples, elbows and flanges should do the trick.

Freestanding Curtain Rod.jpg

Just thinking you could even add a pair of T's about half way up, screw in a couple nipples and add a flange to each. Use the 3M Command strips on the "bottom" of the flange and secure that to the wall. This would help keep the frame from tipping away from the wall.

Posted 2012-05-06T06:25:36+0000  by Paul

Hey there Warrenm,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Sounds like you've found yourself in quite the pickle, but not one that's all that uncommon. Lots of times people have to get crafty because they're working around rules and regulations for what's allowed to be mounted what and where, so there should at least be one solution for you. = )

First off, are you hanging the curtains for the look of them or to add privacy to the windows? If it's the latter, then I would suggest looking into Gila window film as a possible alternative. This is an easy to use choice for gaining extra privacy and is completely removable later on, so you have no worries about causing any problems with the windows or being hassled for it later.

Aside from that, we can look at how to hang the curtains easier and without drilling or making any nail holes.

How heavy are the curtains and what size are they?

I would look into finding a lightweight curtain if possible and removing any unnecessary length that will add extra weight to it. From here, you can approach it a number of different ways:

• Hanging with the 3M brackets like you had mentioned

Depending on how heavy the curtain is will dictate how many brackets you'll need. Some curtains come pre-made with grommet holes called "top grommet curtains" and those will work good for our purposes. If they don't though, you can add your own grommets to the curtain with a grommet kit. The longer and heavier the curtain, the more grommet holes you'll need. A hook like this Brushed Nickel Medium 3 lb. Metal Hook will serve the purpose well and is completely removable later on. Hook your grommet holes onto the bracket and drape it as you like from there.

GrommetTopCurtain.png

In that same respect, you can also use those brackets to help hold up a simple curtain rod, but don't use any with heavy finals at the ends.

• Magnetic Rods

This will be a great option if by chance your blinds have a metal headrail or perhaps you have some metal casement around the window. The Levolor Telescoping Magnetic Cafe Rod Kit can be used to cover smaller widths, up to about 28" wide and should only be used for light curtains since it's technically a cafe rod and not a curtain rod. However I think this will work great for you if you're able to pair two or more up for a larger sized window.

Aside from these, I would also ask your landlord or complex if they would be willing to do the mounting. Sometimes it's not that they don't want the nail holes, it's just that they're worried about the home owner creating millions of them or messing up the walls. Sometimes they be willing to oblige and it couldn't hurt to ask = )

Hopefully these help you out!~ Let me know if you'd like to brainstorm some more ideas and we'll see what else we can come up with...

Posted 2012-05-04T19:20:51+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+