Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Are Two coats needed

If I use the Behr Primer and Paint product, will I still need to apply two coats of paint?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-22T21:28:28+0000  by Mollypop Mollypop

Two coats will give you the best results.  Most of us aren't good enough to get nice, even coverage with one coat anyway.  If the surface hasn't been painted before are you're doing a dramatic color change, then two coats will be required.
Posted 2015-07-23T08:55:01+0000  by Adam444

Hey Mollypop,

Welcome and thanks for the excellent question.

Walls are commonly smooth, not textured, so I will base my answer upon painting a smooth surface.

In an earlier post, there was a discussion of correct nap. Click Here to see a "Quick Tip" video and review that discussion. You will find that most smooth surfaces are painted with a three-eighths nap roller.

Commonly, paint coverage problems and streaks are created three ways:

1) When the nap is too long, the nap extends on the backside of the roller and pulls at the wet paint making an orange peel texture. In addition, when too long nap is used, the roller loads full of paint and when pressed firmly against the wall, paint releases from the roller at both edges creating two parallel ridges. Sanding the orange peel and/or ridges until smooth and repainting with a three-eighths nap roller cover is the solution;

2) When dark color paint is applied to the wall and then re-coated too fast, the second coat re-wets the first coat creating streaks. The solution is simply waiting six hours between coats; and

3) When roller or brush marks show up. The solution for this is to use "smoothing strokes." 

HOW TO:

A) Begin working in an area about as wide as your body (approx. four-feet);

B) Cut-in at the top and the bottom of the wall;

C) Fill the wall with paint using W-strokes or V-strokes;

D) Refill your roller with paint four or five times to cover the section of wall as wide as your body;

E) Before you move over and without going back to the tray for more paint, roll continuous strokes from the cut-in at the top of the wall to the cut-in near the floor;

F) Overlap these smoothing strokes about one-half inch and expect to use four or five overlapping smoothing strokes to completely smooth the area you just filled with paint; and

G) Then move over the width of your body and repeat.

While most pros and DIYers never achieve one coat coverage, using "smoothing strokes" will give you the best opportunity to paint your walls in one coat.

Try this technique and let us know what you think.

Posted 2015-07-23T12:09:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+