Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Are there 2 home depots when it comes to military discount?

Went to HD 2 weeks ago and talked with a door associate who advised us that we could get a military discount on doors that were either custom or online only.  Today went to HD to purchase the door and was told that if the item is NOT ON THE SHELF IN THE STORE, we cannot get a military discount.  Lowes is across the street.  We already went thru the picking the door time and so we went ahead and ordered the door in the store to be shipped to the store. Lesson learned, Lowes will be our place to buy items.

Do not understand why HD would not give a military discount on all items they sell.  Seems a little dishonest to say you give veterans a discount and then place exceptions on items that are sold thru HD.  Lowes does not have deception, it's a straight forward deal.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-22T02:56:06+0000  by humnw humnw

I find it fascinating the people are generously offered a discount and then complain about the terms that discount is offered.  My understanding is that until recently Lowe's military discount only applied to active duty and retired veterans but it became such a hassle to administer at the register that they extended it to basically everyone including spouses.  I find it absolutely absurd that my mother is actually eligible the Lowe's discount because my father, who has been dead for 20 years, served in WWII - 75 years ago!

I think that the current wave of military and other "public service" discounts is largely a function of marketing combined with a healthy dose of political correctness.  Remember too that there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Home Depot, Lowe's, wherever knows exactly what the cost of providing a veterans discount is and just like the electric bill that cost is reflected in high prices on the shelves.

Posted 2018-08-23T09:51:16+0000  by Adam444
Hi humnw,

I am sorry you were misinformed about the military discount for online purchases. We have never offered a military discount for online purchases and there are no plans to do so in the immediate future. 

A note of correction to your comments; 

(1) Lowe's only offers the military discount on regular priced items only and has more exceptions to their policy then we do. Home Depot offers a military discount on regular and sale items. 

(2) The military discount is a privilege, not a right, we offer it as a thank you for your or your family members service, as such we will decide when and what items we choose to offer it on. 

(3) Our policy has always clearly stated that there will be exceptions for certain items and services, as a result no deception has ever occurred. I  would suggest when shopping in the future, if you have any questions about our Military Discount, please speak to the store manager.

Mike

Posted 2018-08-23T18:17:43+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+